Wait a minute, I think I remember reading this exact post like 3 months ago! A bit of cut and paste from your archives Hannibal? j/k(nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Coil from rsvp-eli-007b.northlink.com on July 19, 2001 at 17:49:38:

In Reply to: CGI and INDY IV posted by HANNIBAL KING on July 19, 2001 at 12:13:53:

: Hey everyone,

: Just been reading a lot of the posts about whether there should be an Indy IV or not. I hope there is, but I won't be devestated if there's not.

: Now, I love Indy - always have since I saw it in Great Yarmouth on afternoon in 1981 and spent most of my holiday money on the soundtrack album, the novelisation, the comics and a cheap shitty bullwhip. I love all the movies - Raiders my favourite, TOD my second favourite, LC my third favourite. I remember the first clip I saw of TOD was in the credits to a brit review programme called Film 84. It was the bit where he loses his gun. The first clip I saw of LC was in the credits for film 89 - getting dragged along the canyon wall whilst hanging from the gun on the tank.

: I have all the marvel comics, all the dark horse comics, two of the French comics, all the novels. A Wested jacket - not so much of a gear head as some. I have a fertility goddess and a headpiece of the staff of Ra. I liked the YIJC too. I am an Indyfan - must be why I'm here. Crap computer game player so I'm still stuck somewhere in China in the Infernal Machine.

: Subsequently I have things I'd like to see in Indy IV. I have no problems with Harry playing Indy in his advancing years as I honestly believe that a lot of older actors play convincing action heroes as they get older. Connery in the Rock, John Wayne in True Grit, almost the entire cast of The Wild Geese. I have no problems with a son / daughter being involved as it creates a new dynamic to it and I like that. I'd rather that the Nazi's weren't involved as it's old and as I've stated before on this board all you need for an Indy film is guys with jackboots and weapons for him to cut a swathe through in his quest for the treasure / relic. I'd also rather not see Sallah or Henry Jones Sr back as again, it's been done. However, I wouldn't be pissed off if they were in it.

: I do have slight problems with CGI! The only reason being is that it can be uninvolving. Some of the scenes in the Phantom Menace were like watching a video game. The Pod race and the battle between the Roger Rabbits and the camp space droids. However - Indy has also had it's fair share of uninvolving action scenes - well, one that I can think of. The Mine Car chase which was such a high percentage of model work that I found it boring. I'm not too worried about the CGI too much as Indy doesn't lend itself to a proliferation of CGI effects. The Mummy Returns had the huge battle scenes - which Indy so far has stayed away from. The only CGI I can see being used is for the recreation of an ancient site - i.e. Atlantis and various special effects. Which is inevitable. After all the Indy movies have always had special effects.

: What worries me is the propensity for film makers to make films with scenes or sequences which are designed for the tie in video games. The Phantom Menace had the Pod Race and during the climactic three way light sabre duel they had a scene involving force fields which opened and closed for no discernible reason. So many films have these type of scenes - a thing that was parodied well in Galaxy Quest and it really bugs me.

: I think there will be an Indy IV. It will be the last Indy film until someone remakes Raiders sometime in the 2020's.

: You know when you write a post and then it seems to have no point.

: Well this is mine.

: Hang loose guys and gals

: Hannibal.

: p.s I don't think it's connected but my series of high adventure movies had an unfinished film called Hannibal King and the Call of Cthulhu. Freaky. Michaelson, the website will be back up soonish - probably September.

: Seeya around.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]