Indy inspired me to do it in Israel

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ArkRaider from 1Cust163.tnt12.mia5.da.uu.net on July 20, 2001 at 16:57:36:

In Reply to: Archaeologists, anyone???? posted by Indiana Texas-girl on July 20, 2001 at 01:34:05:

: Okay...I'm curious...How many of you fans out there were so inspired by Indy that y'all are now REAL archaeologists or studying to be one?

Greetings,

I'm an ordain minister who had the privilege of studing at the Institute of Holy Land Studies in Jerusalem in 1992. Part of the course was to visit various digs and learn the methods. In 1996, I participated in the Jerusalem excavations. Most of my time was spent outside the city walls in the area known as the City of David. Here we dug in the period of King Hezekiah's day (Iron Age IIa). I also dug along the SW corner of the Temple Mount. We found much evidence (broken pottery, coins, anmial and human bones etc) of the A.D. 70 Roman destruction. On one occasion the orthodox got really upset. They felt we where to close to the chamber, which they believe, the Ark is resting. Jokingly, I told them, "I won't open the Ark, I saw the movie and know what could happen!" They didn't appreciate my humor.

This was the same year I traveled into Jordan and down to Petra. I rode a horse part way in the gorge where LC was filmed. The locals like to point out the spot where Ford and Connery stood, sat etc..I should mention my somewhat lack of hairtop and whitish beard at the time made me look more like Connery than the other guy.

In 1999, I excavated at the NE corner of the Sea of Galilee at Bethsaida. I found one Assyria arrowhead of the 7th century BC era and one First century AD (Roman Period) wine/water jug.

The sentiment of some over there is rather negative about the Indiana Jones image. Sometimes a common retort heard is, "We want no indiana jones types coming here!" They feel that many had come into the Near East, especially during the 19th century and basically stole the hertiage of many countries.

Well, sorry about this lenghty script. I'm just excited about the field of Biblical Archaeology. I teach Old Testament and Archaeology at a local Baptist seminary. I also do conferences on occasion around the country, Fedora and all...

Cheers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]