Thanks everyone. This is my story........

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on July 23, 2001 at 18:08:21:

In Reply to: Anyone here ever broken a bullwhip strand? posted by Rundquist on July 23, 2001 at 16:31:58:

About five years ago I met Mark Allen at what used to be "The Great Western Gunshow", which was the biggest of it's kind in the world. Man, you could find old A-2's, G-1's, Smith & Wesson 2nd. model hand ejectors (too bad I didn't know what it was at the time), etc...etc...Lee Keppler also used to set up shop here before I knew who he was and what he did (I remember his booth). Anyway I met Mark and saw that his whips were the best I had ever seen in person. This was before "Indygear" and I had long before conceded the Indywear war. Mark told me that the Australian "long and thin handle" was what I wanted as it was better suited to target practice than the "Indiana Jones" handled one, which was pretty similar anyway. Like I said, this is before I had a relapse of the "Indiana Jones" bug. I have a David Morgan coming to me just for authenticity's sake as I'm sure Joe Strain's whips (Mark Allen) are in the same league, just slightly detailed different. So, I bought my whip (and like I said, "IndyGear" didn't exist) and I neatsfoot oiled the hell out of it. Well needless to say my whip didn't last long and one day low and behold it snapped in two. Well this was obviously my own fault but I didn't know any better and I called Mark up. He said he would do what he could. I know that his site and catalogue now say never use neatsfoot oil on a whip. I don't remember if they did at the time. I'm guessing they didn't as he sent me a replacement. What a great guy. He sent me a whip that had been used a little, which didn't matter to me, mine was used too (by me). The whip was in great shape except for one strand near the end that looked like it might give. I didn't care as my original whip was a ten footer. The replacement was a 12 footer. Even if I had to cut the whip down, it would still be 10 feet long. Well, I was pretty hard on my whips in those days and one day the strand in question broke. Like I've stated before, I did many things wrong in those days. I decided to glue the strand back. I guess I did a good job because it has held for many years. Since the leather doesn't seem to have any residue from the glue left over, I decided that maybe I should have the whip repaired by a professional this time (grin). Thanks for your help. I'll contact David or Joe. Cheers

xxxxxxxx

: I've got a broken strand about a foot and half away from the end
: of the whip. Can this be repaired, or does the whip have to be
: shortened? Regards

: xxxxxxxxxxx

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional: