Totally ontopic Ark talk...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micah from indyfan.com on July 24, 2001 at 11:58:54:

In Reply to: This may be off subject but... posted by Justin on July 24, 2001 at 00:41:34:

: it is a question that has been stuck in my mind for awhile. If Indiana Jones did in fact touch the arc would it kill him from a Christian standpoint? From a Jewish standpoint the answer would be of course yes because that was the sacred covenant between God and man and if man touched it under any condition he would die. But under the Christian standpoint if Indy were to have touched it would he have died? The new covenant between God and man was formed with the birth of Jesus, therefore making the arc obsolete but would the power of God still lie in it even though that covenant was broken? Well these are the type questions you ask yourself at 12:35AM. So what do you think?

I almost skipped this thread given your subject...

Whether the "new covenant" includes the "old covenant" is for theologians to discuss, however, I do have a few thoughts on the Ark's powers. In the Bible, the Levites (priests) are the only folks who are allowed to handle the holy objects in the tabernacle, namely the Ark. However, once they are properly covered up, the Kohathites (one of the Jewish tribes) are responsible for carrying the holy items. In Numbers 4:18-19, it sounds like being near the Ark or looking at it is deadly without the Levites present:

"See that the Kohathite tribal clans are not cut off from the Levites.
So that they may live and not die when they come near the most holy things, do this for them: Aaron and his sons are to go into the sanctuary
and assign to each man his work and what he is to carry.
But the Kohathites must not go in to look at the holy things, even for a moment, or they will die."

Since Sallah and Indy didn't drop dead when they looked at the Ark, perhaps there is evidence for your theory.

--Micah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]