It's not that far off...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from ns1.akagi-corp.co.jp on July 24, 2001 at 17:23:39:

In Reply to: High Definition is still a ways away. posted by Rundquist on July 24, 2001 at 17:12:11:

I think there are a couple shows (including CSI) that are filmed and broadcast in high-def. It's definitely coming. As always, the prices for the new gadgets will drop considerably once the consumers go for it.
Just look at Europe. From what I have seen, they sell more widescreen TVs than regular ones. And most of the widescreen TVs are HDTV or at least advanced TVs (The latter offer a little better resolution and image quality than regular sets).
Hold on to your wallet...
FG

: High def. DVD's are coming, but first you need a high definition TV and it is something the American public has yet to embrace. The cost for one of these is in the $5,000 range and the only thing really available so far in high def. are sporting events. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath. Cheers

:
: xxxxxxxxxx

: : : : And who wants the movies on regular DVD then? ;)
: : : : :
: : : : :

: : :
: : : Hi Fall Guy,

: : : Please forgive my ingnorance, but what is "Super" DVD and how will
: : : it be different from DVD? Will it require a newer DVD player than
: : : what I have currently? Thanks for the info.

: : : Regards,
: : : Professor Jones

: :
: : I was being sort of ironic in my prognosis. However, here is what I have heard:
: : Super DVD will come out in the near future (could be years, I suppose). It will offer better resolution, sound, lossless compression, etc. Who knows, maybe the discs will be smaller?
: : I also heard that Super DVD will be backwards compatible with current DVD players. Of course you won't be able to enjoy the extra quality.
: : I think that we can expect Super DVD as soon as more people begin buying high definition TVs.
: : Who knows. They are always trying to sell us something new. Let me see how may tape versions of Star Wars I own... ;)
: : FG

: :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL: