Perhaps we are emulating Indy a tad bit too well...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marhala Bartender from dix2-20.essex1.com on July 25, 2001 at 10:46:52:

In Reply to: The Never-Ending Quest posted by Austin Powers on July 25, 2001 at 10:33:30:

In that we keep searching for that which we can't find- except in our case, it's a perfect replica or reproduction of one of Indy's costume items.

In actuality, I think it has something more to do with the "collecting bug". I took many museum courses in my undergrad, where a topic of discussion was always: Why? Why do people collect things? It was originally a topic to discuss the beginnings of museums, but in today's collecting bonanza, it is an interesting question. Why is it that no matter how much we collect, there will still be something more to desire and attain? An interesting theory was that one of the most important parts of collecting and the factor that provides the greatest motivation is the notion that there is always something left to obtain. If we had everything we were trying to collect, then it would be over. Researchers, and many collectors themselves, will accredit the "thrill of the hunt" to a large degree of the satisfaction that is acquired through the process of collecting. By always having something more to collect, the collecting process will not end, thus giving us another opportunity to experience the thrill of obtaining one more item we "need" in order to complete our collection.

It was funny to me at the time, but it rings pretty true. My professor said that in order to be a true collector, your collection must be incomplete. That is the motivation.

Of course, not everyone views their Indy purchases as an attempt to fulfill a collection of Indy gear, but to some of you, it may apply.

That's my two cents. Actually, it may be more like seven cents since I rambled so much.

The Barkeep.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]