Another twist

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace113.utsi.edu on July 25, 2001 at 15:29:58:

In Reply to: The Never-Ending Quest posted by Austin Powers on July 25, 2001 at 10:33:30:

It's also like trying to decide whether you want to drive the Rolls Royce to town (the FS and PB fedora), or jump in the pick up and do the same thing (the Wested/Federation fedora) The first choice is high end, but tough as nails, but sometimes you need tough AND utilitarian, there fore the truck is a better choice. Speaking of the Federation, that hat is as tough as they come in terms of outdoor use, but costs under $50! Now the PB is absolutely as bullet proof as advertised, but I have to ask myself, which would I cry over more should one or the other get ripped away in a high wind. I KNOW I can get that Federation replaced quickly, but can I raise the cash as quickly on a new PB? We go back to which would you take to town...the Rolls or the Pick up? It just depends.....(grins) By the way, Austin, if you haven't done so yet, get that Federation ordered! Regards. Michaelson

: After reading a recent post by Patterson regarding his desires to have Joe Jr. modify a borsolino hat into an "Indy", I came to this realization. For the most part, collecting Indy's gear is a never-ending quest. With the exception of Aldens, MK7 bags, and DM bullwhips, reproductions of Indy's gear are not agreed upon. There are literally dozens of hat and jacket options out there, numerous belt and clothing choices, and more than one outlet for shoulder bag straps.

: Not too long ago, when PBs became popular, they were thought to be THE end-all be-all Indy hat. But soon after, people began looking into Akubra Federations, and now Lee Kepler hats. It seems no one can agree on which is the ultimate replica.

: The same holds true for jackets as well.

: For years people were more than happy with their Westeds. Then suddenly, a rag-tag bunch of rebels started to question their accuracy. Now, it's widely known that Westeds aren't all they're cracked up to be, yet some people still prefer them over choices. I myself own both a Wested and a FS, yet I've still had urges to order another Wested. I also think my PB is great, yet I've often wondered about purchasing a Federation, why is that?

: Are we destined to never find the ULTIMATE replicas?

: Sure, when we receive a new item in the mail we're in love with it for a few days or weeks. But then, we start to ponder the greenness of the grass elsewhere. Why are we never satisfied? Patterson has or had dozens of Indy coats, Fedora and Dakota have quite a few hats, and I myself have more than one of each. Why, in this age of communication, have we yet to find the perfect items? Indy's gear on screen has such a distinct and identifiable look, yet it's nearly impossible to find/duplicate.

: Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]