It started with the Special Editions ploy...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James from host-216-78-21-221.cae.bellsouth.net on July 28, 2001 at 01:06:04:

In Reply to: DVD Farse? posted by Austin Powers on July 28, 2001 at 00:38:51:

Now they've got this "Ultimate Edition" thing going- even more extras than the Special Editions!!

Now, I'm a DVD junkie, but there's a lot of nonsense that doesn't make sense about the format. For example, I missed the Planet of the Apes box set when it came out last year. Then it quickly went out of print and disappeared from shelves. Now the exact same set is being re-released in a few weeks with a "Limited Edition" tag. Explain that one.

The biggest complaint though, is the way that studios dole out the titles a little at a time. For example, instead of simply releasing all of the Star Trek films as a set, they're spreading them out over a few years. Now, you'd expect, given that sort of wait in between titles, that they'd at least release them with some extras. Nope. But it's a safe bet that after everyone's waited and bought them all up, then we'll see a new Special Edition box set!

Everyone's been going nuts for the Indy DVD's, but unfortunately, Paramount is the absolute worst studio when it comes to DVD extras. The most exciting change to their DVD's happened a few weeks ago- the little banner that reads "Widescreen Collection" was moved from the bottom of the DVD covers to the top of the DVD covers. (Just forget the fact that ALL of their titles are widescreen anyway, and that the label doesn't make any sense to begin with...)

But most of the complaints are with the big titles, which means there's a ton of great old films that haven't been on video in ages that are readily available thanks to DVD. And most of them are inexpensive and solid additions to any movie library. My newest love is MGM's Midnight Movies line, which is comprised of old sci-fi and horror films from the 50's-70's. They're light on extras, but you can pick them up at 10 bucks a pop.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]