Re: Anyone own a Wested ToD Jacket??

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Yurik from 1Cust33.tnt1.columbia.sc.da.uu.net on July 28, 2001 at 19:53:34:

In Reply to: Anyone own a Wested ToD Jacket?? posted by Dr.Jones on July 28, 2001 at 17:38:00:

I've owned a West ToD jacket, but now own a US WINGS version. The following is just my opinion.

If you're wanting a ToD jacket, then I would seriously consider a US WINGS vintage lamb. It's the closest one to the ToD version. Wested describes theirs as an inch longer than the Raiders version. However, if you look at the film, the ToD jacket's torso looks almost as high as the Raiders version. Here are a few other unique things about the actual ToD jacket compared to the Raiders film jacket. I'll note which things the US WINGS version has, but Wested does not.

1. A dark brown leather that is easily distress-able. (US WINGS has a good tint, as opposed to Wested's almost black color. Wested's do not distress very easily. The US WINGS vintage lamb's brown color is a thin coat over a lighter color, so the jacket distressed very quickly, either naturally or by hand).

2. Smaller pockets (US WINGS nails this one. Their pockets are much smaller, as opposed to Wested's version of the ToD jacket which have the same large Raiders pockets)

3. Bottom of torso about 4 to 6 inches above the beltline. (US WINGS is just right, while my former ToD jacket was about 7 to even 9 inches below the belt.)

4. A different cut. (US WING's jacket cut is a dead ringer for the villiage scene in ToD. It's proportions are just right. But if you compare Wested's proportions to the film, it's almost a totally different jacket).

5. Rounded collar tips

6. Nickel zipper

7. Buckles, not D-rings

The last three items I plan on getting altered into the jacket.

Here are two draw-backs about the US WINGS version. The lamb skin can be thick and heavy(at least some panels). However, if you plan on distressing it that should loosen it up. Also, some panels on the jacket may have a large grain(like an orange), but so did parts of the actual ToD jacket.

The upper arms of the jacket are a bit too wide. The ToD film jacket sleeves were much more athletically cut. I'm actually getting mine altered in the next couple of weeks. I'm getting a couple of inches taken off of the width in the upper arm for $30-$50.

Now a Wested is very affordable, but it's not the most accurate ToD. However, I'm sure you could probably a lot of customizing done by Peter, such as smaller pockets, buckles, nickel zipper, etc. But they just can't deliver the right brown color. Their distressed hide is the closest thing, but even that's a little light. I don't know how much he charges for such a job. Regardless the US WINGS jacket(which does not come customized, only S,M,L,XL,XXL) will cost you $100 more than a Wested. After about $100-$150 more in alterations your US WINGS would be absolutely identical to the ToD film jacket. Hope my long, dragged out explanation helps.

Yurik

: I'm thinking of getting one, but wanna know more about 'em first. Let me know!!!Any pics??

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]