I think it's a matter of name recognition...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from user-2ivevdn.dialup.mindspring.com on July 30, 2001 at 21:13:08:

In Reply to: OK, so WHY does Indy have to fight a type of government?? posted by DR. JONES on July 30, 2001 at 20:33:41:

When you see the swastika, you automatically think of the Nazis, and therefore, evil. (And no, I don't want to hear from anybody about how the swastika was originally an Indian symbol for good luck. Sorry, but that just doesn't matter anymore...) The same can be said for the sickle and hammer of the old "Evil Empire"; the Soviet Union. When you deal with the Nazis or Soviets as antagonists in movies/books, you don't have to spend a long time in the "evil character development" department. You see an SS officer, with his black uniform, boots, riding crop, etc. you don't need to waste time on scenes in which you set him up as the bad guy. The little red armband says it all for you. However, when you deal with a cult or some other type of sinster force in the movies, you're forced to subject the audience to the tedious and often gratuitous scene in which the Evil Cult Leader kills some innocent guy or kicks a puppy or slits somebody's throat or whatever is necessary to present him as the malevolent force in the movie. So Lucas should take the easy way out and give us the Soviets or Red Chinese.
That's just my two cents on the whole issue.
-graml

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]