Couldn't agree with you more...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by India Jones from tmm-gw1.thmulti.com on July 31, 2001 at 06:38:03:

In Reply to: My post below; you weren't listening.... posted by Shawnkara on July 31, 2001 at 02:42:21:

It almost seems like discussing religion. You are branded a heretic if you question the holiness of the pope (in this case Ford). Now I love Ford as an actor, before and now. I think it would also be difficult to see another actor play Indy, but then again we all got over seeing Sean Connery being replaced in the James Bond series (or did we?). The idea of a Raiders movie set in the 50's sounds ludicrous. What, would Indy drive around in a Corvette and wear a biker jacket? The whole charm of the trilogy was the time period in which they were set. The nostalgia and imagery associated with that era has alot to do with the spirit of the movie. Remember that Indy movies are based on Archeology. The period that I at least associate with the hayday of Archeology are the late 1800's up to the 1930's. I think that 1940's would be a stretch but doable and maybe with Ford. That may be a good compromise. However, I think that a pre-raiders sequal has much more promise in terms of content to develop and would thus have to be played by another actor. Just my two cents.

Regards,
IJ

: I see that nearly everyone who replied missed the point entirely. And whoever said I was whining, since when is giving a opinion whining? My mistake, I thought this forum was "The discussion of all things Indy". Yes, I'm well aware of the cold war and the post WWII political state of the world. But now you're talking espionage, spy games and the like. If you want to see "Indy" face such storylines go rent any one of the Clancy films. The Indiana Jones films are a adventure serial based around archaeology. The only reason the Nazis were ever brought in was due to the fact Hitler REALLY WAS obsessed with the occult and the search for divine power. The backbone of the Indy films is the embelishment of historical fact. The Nazi presence was never meant to play into the story politically, and it never did. If you're getting into the cold war thing, then I'm afraid it will become a political story, far departed from what Indy has always been. You all act like I've said that Ford sucks, he'sa decepid old fart and can't be Indy anymore. You weren't listening. If you go back PRIOR TO "RAIDERS" he'd have to be replaced. Especially if you were to deal with the back story of Abner and Marion. Indy hadn't spoken to Abner in ten years. He was thirty-eight in 'Raiders'. How in the Hell do you expect a sixty year-old Ford to pass for twenty-eight or younger? If you were to write a story set in the LATE... 40's, then Ford is still the only Indy. I was not attacking the man's talent, age or contribution, I was stating a fact; Ford can not play Indy in his early to late twenties. If you're going to get so pissed at me then you may as well write to Speilberg and tell him that you're pissed about Ford being replaced by Pheonix and Flannery. Based on what some of you seem to think Ford could have easily pulled off a sixteen year-old Indy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]