Re: Hey Yurik- That's a pretty nice set of gear you have up for auction!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Yurik from 1Cust58.tnt1.columbia.sc.da.uu.net on July 31, 2001 at 11:57:03:

In Reply to: Hey Yurik- That's a pretty nice set of gear you have up for auction! posted by Marhala Bartender on July 31, 2001 at 10:55:50:

Thanx for the compliments. I agree with the distressing factor when it comes to gear. I bought a non-issued bag from Roadster company and immediately sanded it down(carefully). There is still a lot I need to do to it, such as putting subtle stains on it. I bought a used, dark 10 ft. DM that's nice and broken it. Matches ToD whop exactly and it's easy to crack. I also own US Wings vintage lamb. I've been slowly distressing for a couple of months. THe slower and more gradual I am, the more depth and realism there is to the distressing. I still have a long way to go on that one. When I receive my Aldens I plan on kicking through an ankle high mound of gravel with them amoung some other things to give several levels and sources of wear. When I purchase the pants and shirt I plan on simply putting them on a mannequin and pouring water on it, in order to form it the body and get some random wrinkles in it as is dries and hitting them with Fuller's Earth(theatrical dust). I also have plans for my holster(IMA) and PB fedora. I shooting for the most ToD look possible, which requires a lot of distressing.

The manneqin was given to me by a family member who picked it up at a Tux place for $25. I plan on enhancing it with plaster and PVC piping to have legs, as well as a brass rod from the neck to hold the fedora.

I think people are scared to do anything to their gear because of it's quality and cost. However, distressed and used gear is probably worth more then pristine new gear. People should be afriad if they research and visualize exactly what they want, think out the process and are patient and careful. Anyone can create a dead ringer replica with the gear that's available out there. It just takes a little bit of creativity and a lot of guts.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]