My Federation

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from udialup242.mpls.uswest.net on July 31, 2001 at 23:59:17:

Well I couldn't hold off any longer, I just had to shape this thing as soon as possible. Although I was leary of performing the dimensional cut(I botched my previous Akubra's), it turned out great. I used my PB's brim as a guide and learned a lot about how and where the brim widths change.

I went to a fabric store and got a couple yards of their black grosgain(the lady called it GROgain) ribbon, and proceeded to clumsily create my hat's bow. After a lot of redoing, I finally got it looking pretty dang good, although I reckon my jimmy-rigged job could've been cleaned up a bit. The ribbon went on the hat fine(this's about my third "reribboning") and really contrasted perfectly with the darker brown of the hat.

The overall shape of the crown after bashing resembles the 'Raiders' hat more than any other I've seen, including PB. The front pinch was very easy to create and maintains a nice, razor sharpness.

According to Hats Direct's website, the Federation comes with a 2 7/8" brim, but mine was exactly was wide as my PB's 2 3/4", so I only had to take off 1/8" from the sides. And boy, that 1/8" really changed the look, it MADE this an Indy hat.

Anyway, click the link below to see some before and after pictures of my brand-spankin' new Akubra Federation.

Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]