True, to a point

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace106.utsi.edu on August 01, 2001 at 14:23:11:

In Reply to: Gladly posted by Beast of Steel on August 01, 2001 at 14:12:02:

Copyright, according to US copyright law, starts with the actual creation of an item. No one HAS to add copyright notice on any item, but it's definitely easier to prove with copyright registration, but with the internet, it's extremely easy to prove creation date by posting times of original work. The question is, is it financially prudent to chase in court? I think the whole thing here is consideration, as I can understand someone using pictures from, say, IndyGear. I do eBay trading, and have no access to digital equipment to take my own pictures. Though I've never done so, I can see how nice it would be to use a picture from another site, but only if permission is given, and the info is sited AT the eBay ad. Several of our members HAVE done so, and with success. Once again, I think it's just the consideration of the creator, or owner of the image that should be considered. Oh, how would I know? We're currently taping a Law and Ethics course here at the Institute, and this very subject was discussed during the Monday night taping! Ironic! Thanks for the info, Steel Beast! Great nick, by the way! Regards. Michaelson

: All I'm saying is that if you don't want anybody to take your pictures and use those pictures for their own (monitary, defamatory, evil?) purposes, then you should have the smarts to show a copyright notice on every single picture - or don't whine later!
: A copyright notice states that the picture belongs to someone and that it is not public property. If you do not add a copyright notice anybody might use your picture (even to make money) and you will have a very hard time should you choose to take legal actions.
: As for pictures that are not used for profit, that doesn't make it much better in my book. At best, it's most inconsiderate.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]