Pics of new and old Wested silver zips and review...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by India Jones from proxy.thmulti.com on August 08, 2001 at 10:12:34:

OK folks, here's a couple of pics showing the zips side by side:

Yes, I got another jacket. Not just for the new zip (even though this was an added bonus), but I trashed my first jacket due to an "accident" the details of which are too embarrasing to go into. I sent it out to Wested who repaired it and did a great job by the way. Peter and the crew there really know the meaning of the words "customer service". The repairs were done quickly and the jacket was back to me in a matter of a week or so. It looked fine and the re-work was unnoticable to the untrained eye. But, it just wasn't the same "psychologically". Knowing that I have a reworked jacket just didn't feel right (I'm a bit of a perfectionist). So I ordered another one and Peter promptly had it made and sent out (since I was now a loyal customer). So now I have two jacket, one that I use as a "beater" jacket for rough adventures and another that gets less strenous wear.

OK, enough about the backgtound now for the zips; the old zipper is the one on the left with the rectangular pull. Its made by YKK. The teeth are much finer and it doesn't "zip" very well. It gets caught when zipping up the jacket and just feels light and flimsy. The new zip is great. Its made by RIzip (or at least that's what's stamped on the pull). It works like a champ (zips up easy), its much heavier, feels alot stronger, and has the right gauge for an adventure jacket. The only critique that I would have is the rounded pull with the wire base. Its very practical but is definitely not something from the 30's. In other words it looks too modern for a period jacket. Other than that its great and a definite improvement over the old one.

Regards,
IJ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: