Hummm

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace113.utsi.edu on August 08, 2001 at 13:29:28:

In Reply to: Re: Alden Boot hunters or owners read!!! posted by Indiana Pete on August 07, 2001 at 20:16:14:

Not really, Pete. As you've probably read so far, this is not an unusual mark up. What's also being listed is suggested retail price, not necessarily what a shoe store HAS to sell them for. I know when they were still at the $195 mark, folks were finding them for $160 in the St. Louis area, as that's what that particular shoe seller decided to mark them at with a marginal mark up for profit. I can only imagine he had very little overhead. Anyway, if you'd take a look at how the market works, this is well in the range of standard practice. When I used to be a gun dealer, I ALWAY saw a markup this large, and at time larger. I used to deal occasionally with a whole saler who sold Smith and Wessons at $200 (he was making a profit, remember, so the factory cost HAD to be in the $95 to $100 actual cost range), and showed the suggested retail price of the same weapon by Smith and Wesoon to be over $480! Needless to say, I had the same "sticker shock" when I came to grasp as to how the market works, but that's how it is. No rip off what so ever. The Alden boot is the best, highest quality shoe I've evern had the pleasure to own, and I'll recommend it to absolutely anyone who will listen. You just have to shop around to find the best price. Regards. Michaelson

: Now THAT is what I would call a rip off! (IMHO) If you are willing to pay that much of a mark up and be happy with your purchase, great! More power to you! But I'm sorry, great shoe or not, if this is true.... I can not, in good conscience, support a business like that. Now this is just me (my own personal opinion- so take it for what it is worth). I know many people here have purchased the Alden boots and have nothing but great things to say about them, but... well... I think I have said enough.

: Regards,
: Indiana Pete

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: