Where's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? Awesome screenplay!!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by agent5 from firewall.sigg.com on August 10, 2001 at 18:08:46:

In Reply to: Hey, movie fans... posted by Briede on August 10, 2001 at 16:39:10:

: This came out of my local paper. I wonder how Raiders faired. I am happy, however, by the place The Graduate received.

: `Kane,' Among Best Screenplays
: The Associated Press, Fri 3 Aug 2001
: LOS ANGELES (AP) — Screenwriters have a real love-hate thing going with ``Citizen Kane'' and ``Casablanca.''

: An informal survey of Hollywood scribes ranked those two as the best movie scripts ever but also among the most overrated.

: Orson Welles' ``Citizen Kane,'' which he co-wrote with Herman J. Mankiewicz, was rated the top screenplay in the survey by nonprofit publishing house Library of America. ``Casablanca,'' written by Julius and Philip G. Epstein and Howard Koch, was No. 2.

: ``Citizen Kane'' came in second on the list of overrated screenplays, behind Quentin Tarantino's ``Pulp Fiction.'' ``Casablanca'' was No. 4 on the overrated list. All three were Oscar-winning screenplays.

: The Library of America sent surveys to 4,500 members of the Writers Guild of America, the union representing screenwriters. The survey results were based on about 175 responses.

: The publisher is using the results to help decide what to include in an anthology series of notable movie scripts it plans to start in 2003.

: Rounding out the list of best screenplays: 3. ``The Godfather''; 4. ``Chinatown''; 5. ``All About Eve''; 6. ``Some Like It Hot''; 7. ``Sunset Boulevard''; 8. ``Annie Hall''; 9. ``The Graduate''; 10. ``The Godfather, Part II.''

: ``Citizen Kane'' and ``Casablanca'' likely landed on the most-overrated list because many writers were reacting against obvious film choices that draw attention away from lesser-known movies, said Max Rudin, publisher of the Library of America.

: ``The motives for the overrated choices are a mixed combination of contempt bred from familiarity and, I think, envy in some cases,'' Rudin said.

: Other titles on the list of overrated screenplays: ``Gone With the Wind,'' ``Traffic,'' ``American Beauty,'' ``Titanic,'' ``E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial,'' ``Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'' and ``It's a Wonderful Life.''

: The Library of America also used the survey to compile a list of five underrated screenplays: ``Groundhog Day,'' ``Quiz Show,'' ``Aliens,'' ``The Wizard of Oz'' and ``The Best Years of Our Lives.''

:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]