A very important tool for putting together authentic Indygear: COLOR RELEVANCE . . .(check this out)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Yurik from 1Cust168.tnt1.columbia.sc.da.uu.net on August 11, 2001 at 22:47:39:

I've noticed from film stills, video and photograghs that each article of Indy's outfit carries it's own tone in relationship to the other articles. "Duh", I'm sure you're saying to yourself. Bear with me, please. This fact could be to the advantage of someone replicating the actual film wardrobe. For instance, let's say that in the film the fedora is a lighter tone than the jacket. That would mean if your fedora is darker than your jacket, either your fedora or jacket is way off. These subtle differences in tone could make the difference between your gear being "right on" or "way off".

The only film gear I pay attention to is Temple of Doom. Therefore, I haven't been interested in the other films and how each article contrasts in tone with others. Therefore, for anyone who's interested in the Color Relevance of the ToD film gear, here's my best estimation based on film stills, photographs and video.

NOTE: Each of these tones is a shade of brown, from khaki to a dark choclate(almost black). Also, these browns could have a more red element to them, while others remain on the more green side. Some tones, you just can't tell. Even a light distressing can make the leather look dusty without really removing color, which can make it look a little lighter(I've made note of this too). I hope this is helpful to some.

FROM LIGHTEST TO DARKEST:

1. Shirt
2. Trousers/highlights of boots/secondary highlights of jacket
3. Fedora/primary highlights of jacket
4. Whip/Whipholder
(THE FEDORA AND THE WHIP COULD BE INTERCHANGEABLE, SINCE THE WHIP IS A BIT DARKER IN SOME STILLS THAN IN OTHERS).
5. Boots
6. Webbing belt
7. Jacket basetone/Fedora Ribbon
8. Holster(distressed and flat-toned, but just as dark as articles below)
9. Shoulder Strap/Gunbelt

I hope this is helpful to some of you. I'd love to hear the opinions of Color Relevance for RoTLA and LC if anyone is willing.

Yurik

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]