John Williams

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Belosch from ppp-206-170-7-30.rdcy01.pacbell.net on August 11, 2001 at 23:25:22:

I apologize to those who might choke on this big, bloated post of mine, but I get more carried away discussing music than even movies, which is saying something. Anyway, there’s been much discussion about people’s favorite music, but how about favorite John Williams themes? Or even favorite “moments” of movies you thought were scored superbly by The Master. Let me list mine.
We agree that the “Raiders March” belongs on the Mt. Olympus of movie music, so need more be said? Additionally, I like the sinister “Ark” theme, which, with its minor-key changes (forgive the musician’s jargon) perfectly conveys the frightening “Egyptian Curse” mood they were trying to capture (and I know there were religious ramifications here, but we all hashed that out previously). In TOD, I really like the “Temple” theme, which is rousing and somewhat “exotic” in nature. I rather wish that, instead of being used for the Temple itself, it appeared in the adventurous “journey across India” portion of the movie. As it stands, it brings to mind hearts being ripped out and children being flogged, which is unfortunate.
In LC, there’s an attractive “Grail” theme which, unlike the Ark theme, is more stirringly “Pious” in nature - it’s kinda got the “10 Commandments” vibe to it.
Other movies:
Jaws: This theme has become as clichéd as Bernard Hermann’s “shrieking strings” in Psycho, but (and because) it works so well. Not only is it perfect for fright, but it appears in the second half of the movie, which is more of a “high-seas adventure” film. Think of when the heroes on the Orca are mobilizing for battle against the shark: “Hooper! Tie it on, now, don’t screw it up!” “DON’T WAIT FOR ME!” A good half of that scene’s enormous excitement comes from the music, which includes the famous “dum-dum-dum-dum” bass underneath. So, the theme is great for both “terror” and “Ahoy matey!” surging adventure.
Close Encounters: There’s a “theme” of sorts, which is a simple melodic interval sung by a chorus (over an equally simple chord-change) that’s associated with Roy Neary’s obsession with the strange vision in his head. We hear it most prominently when he sees Devil’s Tower on the TV. Anyway, this music perfectly captures the awe and wonderment of that film.
Star Wars Trilogy: I’m not such a big fan of the “Title Theme,” but I love the evil “Empire March” introduced in ESB, as well as the “Love Theme” of Han and Leia from the same movie.
The 1984 Summer Olympics: They commisioned Mr. Williams for music for the games in LA, and he responded with a theme that still holds up, years later.
Jurassic Park: Here’s a case of a theme that may not fit the subject all that well. If you have a video copy, play the final helicopter flight, and ending credits; don’t watch the screen; just listen to the music, and banish dinosaurs from your mind! I think this music is some of the most melodic, beautiful that Williams ever wrote, but is it really dinosaurs? It has a soul-stirring quality that would be more fitting for, say an Olympic’s event. I can picture it while seeing highlights, and athletes on the awards podium. Maybe for next year (or whenever)!
Anyway, that’s enough (“Thank God!” ;-) and Thank you for your time.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]