Re: my fedora is darker then the one in the movie!!! Help!>>>

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Arizona Smith from host213-122-107-61.btinternet.com on August 12, 2001 at 06:03:33:

In Reply to: my fedora is darker then the one in the movie!!! Help!>>> posted by Raideroftheark on August 12, 2001 at 01:22:24:

One thing to bear in mind here is that under certain lighting conditions all gear items will take on different tones and shades. This applies to your gear AND to Ford's in the movies.

For example I have my Wested jacket next to me right now and it looks to me to be a very dark brown -- NOT black. In any photographs that I have taken or had taken, the jacket looks black. Under the Egyptian sun -- conditions for my first jacket pics -- it looks incredibly black. Not only that, but the fedora is a variety of different shades. Sometimes darker, sometimes very light.

Bear in mind that natural light vs. artificial creates different effects -- and bear in mind also that on the movies, even in bright sunlight, they also pour a great deal of artificial light, often filtered, onto the scene. And then there's the fact that it's on film, and there are different film stocks, colour correction issues, etc. etc.

Point is: only way you could be certain would be to compare your hat side by side with one from the film, under the same light. And even then (!!!) how often have you been in the same room with someone, looking at the same thing and argued about its colour? How often have you ordered something from a catalogue and upon receiving the item discovered that the tone/colour seems quite different in 'real life'.

I own a Herbert Johnson, for example, and have never seen it the colour of the pictures on Indy Gear.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but if it helps, well.......

Regards
Arizona

: hello I need help! I was comparing my fedora the other day to the movies and i noticed it was darker! What do i do?! And whtever you say dont say buy a new one!
: -Raider

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]