John Williams

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc from spider-tf073.proxy.aol.com on August 12, 2001 at 12:32:10:

In Reply to: John Williams posted by Belosch on August 11, 2001 at 23:25:22:

What I gotta say can be said simply with the following two words:

"Schindler's List"

Quite possibly the finest suite of film music ever composed, "Schindler's List" is at once both melancholic and hearbreaking, yet contemplative and hopeful. A longtime fan of film music, I've listened to hundreds of scores by classic film composers the likes of Rozsa, Korngold, Newman, Steiner, Jarre, Herrmann, Morricone, Goldsmith and Rota along with more contemporary ones such as Horner, Elfman, Poledouris, Silvestri, Nyman, and Edelman. Quite simply, nothing I've yet heard can match "SL" for it's raw emotional power.
I realized long ago the reason why I enjoyed listening to film scores. At a very fundamental level, the score's purpose is to enhance the emotion of what's happening on the screen, and to make the viewer feel a certain way. The very best scores (probably 5% of what's out there) go beyond that; divorced from the accompanying images, a great film score will make the listener experience that emotion simply through music. "SL" does that magnificently. It's not an easy score to listen to, but it is undeniably evocative and moving.
That's why I love film scores, 'cause they make ya feel it!

To respond to Belosch, my favorite Williams themes include:
"Hymn to the Fallen" from Saving Private Ryan
"Liberty Fanfare"
"Jurassic Park"
"Olympic Fanfare & Theme"
"Imperial March" (kinda goes without saying, eh?)
"Raiders March" (this one too)
"Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" from LC
"Cantina Band" from Star Wars

My favorite film moment scored by Williams is the scene in "Last Crusade" when Indy and Elsa notice the painting of the Ark on the wall in the catacombs & Williams introduces a few measures of the Ark theme from "Raiders". I thought that was a brilliant little touch intended to be noticed only by us Indy geeks.

I also must apologize for such a long post.

-Doc

(As an addendum, while I feel that "SL" is a score of the highest caliber, I don't necessarily think that Williams is the best composer out there. He is certainly one of the masters, but he's not number one for me.)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]