Whips: 12 vs 16 plait and some speculation on what made it into the movies...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.201.103.106 on August 13, 2001 at 14:53:26:

I’ve always understood that the whips used were David Morgan’s – and I do not doubt that. Some whips were non-DM’s – a few stunt whips that had steel cable cores, and the circus whip in LC was made in the UK by Swaine Adeney (a related company to Herbert Johnson). The thing is this, why do the auction houses consistently describe the whips they auction as 16 plait? I’m speculating here, but as I understand it the whips initially supplied came from Glen Randall’s inventory of stunt whips, not directly from David Morgan. Glen only had David Morgan whips (again, as I understand it), but I do know that David Morgan has made a variant of their production whip in a 3 belly, 16 plait flavor. This model is used primarily for target work, and is purportedly easier to use. Would this be what they would have given Ford to learn with? I see versions he’s donated or given away which are clearly 8 footers.

Now, I look at DM’s site and see this:

“Classic Bull Whip for Whip Artists This classic sixteen strand bull whip is made to meet the needs of those requiring a high quality whip for precision work in target cutting or multiple cracking. A variant on our bull whips used in the Indiana Jones movies, this fine example of form plus function will appeal to collectors and whip artists alike. This whip has the same balance and shape as our 451 series bull whip, but rather than being designed towards resisting damage from impact and abrasion in stunt use it is designed towards resisting the high stress of constant practice and towards attaining the smoothest action possible and the most stability of shape over long use.

There are three plaited bellies for strength and stability. The overlay is sixteen strand, dropping to an eight strand point for a smooth action. The overlay is done in eight-seam work where the thong leaves the butt. Available in quantities limited by both production and supply of suitable kangaroo skins. Hand crafted by David Morgan.

No. 451A Classic Bull Whip, 6 ft.
No. 453A Classic Bull Whip, 8 ft.”

The 8 footer runs $750 (ouch), but I have to say that I am tempted. Any whip guru’s out there want to give some input? I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the same as the whip pictured on the enclosed link.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: