Similar Suspicions

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupB127.mpls.uswest.net on August 13, 2001 at 17:06:55:

In Reply to: Whips: 12 vs 16 plait and some speculation on what made it into the movies... posted by Patterson on August 13, 2001 at 14:53:26:

First off, I can tell you that the auctioned whip in the photograph CLEARLY has a longer handle than my DM. I've heard other people mention this fact as well, but that doesn't really bother me. It just seems odd that all of a sudden, David Morgan would take away a good 2+" off the handles.

Secondly, the whip pictured seems way too dark to have been "natural tan" to begin with. I've always had doubts as to the color claims. My DM is natural tan, and I've seen the whips of others who've "sun-tanned" theirs, and none have achieved the even level of rich, dark brown as the one auctioned. The color more closely resembles my "dark brown" Mark Allen Indy whip. I know SOME of the movie whips were obviously tan to begin with, but then there are some, particularly in 'Temple', that I feel were darker from the get-go.

Anyway, about the plait business, I've always wondered about that as well. After owning a DM and now a MA, I still feel that Indy's whips were "smoother", if you will. What I mean it, my whips aren't quite as snake-like as his were. You can clearly feel the plaits when running your hand along it, whereas Indy's whip, at least in photos, seems like it'd be almost impossible to feel individual plaits to the touch.

I guess we'll never know until we can see and inspect a 16-plaiter, or an actual movie whip. But that $750 price is just INSANE. For that amount, the sumbitch had beeter have been IN the movies.

Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]