Re: Tom Selleck in the Indy films

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ~The Raider~ from ppp-ip233-s06.inetnorth.net on November 24, 1998 at 20:09:46:

In Reply to: Re: Tom Selleck in the Indy films posted by Michaelson on November 24, 1998 at 19:34:18:

: : Do you guys and girls think that if Tom Selleck had gotten out of his contract with Magnum P.I., that the Indy films would've been as popular as they are now? I mean do you think that there would be an Indyfan forum? I'm pretty sure there would be and that it was the writer and director that made it really good but I want to hear what you think.

: : Check six.

: : LFM

: Personally, no, I don't. Don't get me wrong, I admire Mr. Selleck's work, and he does a great job at about anything he does. We have to go back to 1980-81, though, and remember that he was riding the crest of popularity of the Magnum series. Everything he did outside of Magnum was compared to Magnum. He was stereotyped as Tomas Magnum at the time, and we would have just watched Raiders thinking, man, Magnum is sure good in this movie. The movie, no doubt, would have had good gate, but I seriously doubt we'd have given it another thought. Now even though we all knew who Harrison Ford was in 1981, I honestly leaned over to my sister at my first viewing and asked her who he was when he first turned around in the jungle. He became that character. I didn't have a preconceived idea as to who the Indiana Jones was, even though I had seen all the Star Wars movies to that date in the theaters. We lived with Magnum, though, every week in our living rooms, and that's why CBS kept Selleck in his contract and not loaned out to Paramount for this movie. Nope, we wouldn't be sitting here talking about this almost 18 years later, to my thinking. Good question. Regards. Michaelson

I'd have to agree with you. The only thing I can ever feature Selleck doing that is at the boulder scene. For a moment, I can almost invision the moustachioed Magnum looking up as the rock hurtles towards him. Aside from that, I just can't see it.
Raiders was released the year before I was born, and therefore I didn't have the oppurtunity to experience Indy on the big screen. When I learned in the past few years that Selleck was considered for Indy but went to Magnum instead, I searched everwhere for reruns of ths show.
Watching it, I could understand why they'd consider him. He had a sense of style all his own.
But Ford, like Connery in the Bond series, carved his own style with his role as the indestrucatable-yet-believabley-realistic-mortal role. It worked out better this way. Maybe more so for Ford and Indy than Selleck, but all around, probably better.

~The Raider

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]