Jaded Opinion

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Groo from ppp-207-193-2-87.kscymo.swbell.net on November 24, 1998 at 20:47:10:

In Reply to: Re: Tom Selleck in the Indy films posted by Michaelson on November 24, 1998 at 19:34:18:

I think, and deservedly so, you are having trouble separating the character from the actor. While it's true that our Indy - as portrayed by Mr. Ford - is outstanding, let's try to step away from that Indy and invision what could have been. Truthfully, we may have had several more movies to be discussing here now than we do if Selleck had taken the role. After all, Harrison is so afraid of type-casting he cringed at the thought of making several Indiana Jones flicks. Even with his massive popularity from Star Wars(BTW don't know what planet you were on during the 70's not to recognize Ford as Indy) Mr. Ford was deathly afraid of failing on his own. Most of the other films he had starred in up to that point were, at best, moderately successful(barring Star Wars). I don't believe that Tom would have had that hang-up. To quote Magnum "Now I know what your thinking" if Lucas had popped out the five films he supposedly had on tap, the quality would have been lower - Tom's Indy traveling here to fro grabbing artifacts-but I disagree. These movies, even at the basic conception, were to be the early adventure serials revisited. Indy is supposed to get into all kinds of craziness and always survive. Frankly, I think we examine the asthetics of the films more than the actual story(ie. hats, bags, pants, etc.) All in all, I believe Tom would have made a great Indy - not to say that he would have portrayed the character any better than Harrison, only different.
Observitory Regards,
Groo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: