Did you first meet Mark Allen at the Great Western Gunshow?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from 63.201.187.189 on August 14, 2001 at 13:00:07:

In Reply to: Thanks for the advse... posted by Patterson on August 14, 2001 at 02:13:39:

I bought my first good quality Australian from Mark and he talked me into not getting the Indiana Jones whip, but the other one. It was before I had found all you nuts on line. I had long since given up going for "authentic". At the time I just wanted something good. Anyway, later I decided to get an "Indy" whip and I agonized over which one. Austin Powers sent me a nice email expressing his opinions, since he has both. I am going to forward it to your Indygear address. After switching back and forth for months (I concentrated on other gear), I decided on a DM. Two weeks before I was about to order it, I found (or I should say it found me) a great deal on one. It's a great whip but, its hard for me to give an opinion on it since it really isn't even properly broken in yet and at the moment I'm kind of afraid to crack it. I kind of feel like getting one of those whips from bullwhipsonline to really beat the hell out of. Hope you come to a happy decision. Cheers

xxxxxxxx

: : I just bought another Mark Allen. You can't go wrong. I've been to many different whip sites, and looked at many different pictures.

: : Bottom line, it is as close a match to what was used in the film, to my eye, as can be found. Why pay extra just for the David Morgan's name? The Mark Allen whips are made with the same methods. They are beautiful to look at, and crack great from the beginning. If you get one in natural tan, you do have to let it "age" a little to get that Indy color. They do look too light when they are new, but it is normal. A bit of sun, use, and Fiebling's Aussie Leather Conditioner and you will have a damm close duplicate of Indy's whip in no time.

: : Why not buy one and check it out? You can always return it as long as it is still in new condition. Call them up. Mark is usually there and is happy to talk whips. Obviously, I hightly reccomend them.

: I have owned 3 Mark Allens. One was an Austrailian bullwhip (natural 12 footer), and the other 2 were Indy whips (Joe Strain made) in dark brown - an 8 and a 10 footer. I still have the 10 footer, and am very happy with it. I was considering the DM because it is a DM. I've handled one before in David's showroom a few years back. They are higher quality, but a Lamborghini is higher quality than a BMW too. The DM practically cracked itself - they damned thing was THAT balanced. So, you do get more than just a name...

: But, for $600? Almost twice the price? Man, I just want one of you guys with buyers remorse to sell me one for $500!!! LOL!!!

: Well, I've a bit of soul searching to do. This'll bite into the Indy fun fund for a few months. The nice thing is my wife is getting me a Herbert Johnson for Christmas. Shhhh!! I'm not supposed to know!

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: