Yes, handle is shorter, but the overall quality is indeed Indy...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by belloq from spider-tf061.proxy.aol.com on August 14, 2001 at 15:23:33:

In Reply to: Help! Whip dilema! posted by Patterson on August 14, 2001 at 01:25:07:

Yes, the handles I've seen in the film and stills and auction photos all have handles which are longer than the DM 10 footer I received 6 weeks ago. I believe the handle on my whip is at least 3/4 inch shorter than the actual props. My whip's handle is about 4 inches while the originals were about 4.75 to 5.5 inches (estimated from photos by counting the braiding "diamonds.")

I emailed David Morgan and he responded that the actual handle rod has always been the same length and that mine was within appropriate tolerances. He explained that the placement of the turks head is differently spaced along the top of the handle in every whip. He does not seem to mind that people are purchasing these as replicas, going on the "as used in the Indiana Jones films" description and the pictures on his site, all of which show a longer handle than I received. After all, we are a captive market and he is the only David Morgan.

My guess is that the movies' prop departments, for continuity, requested certain dimensional tolerances or hand picked similar longer handled whips. I still am glad that I own a high quality DM whip, but from a perfectionist's standpoint, I am angry that I spent $605 and didn't receive an exact replica. Buy the DM for your collection and occasional use because it's "the real thing," but I would purchase another replica if you're going to use a whip excessively.

If I ever purchase another DM, I will specifically speak with him and try to request a certain handle length appearance to match Raiders.

belloq

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]