Re: Tom Selleck in the Indy films

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by nitzsche from 1Cust76.tnt23.sfo3.da.uu.net on November 24, 1998 at 23:10:44:

In Reply to: Tom Selleck in the Indy films posted by LFM on November 24, 1998 at 17:41:06:

: Do you guys and girls think that if Tom Selleck had gotten out of his contract with Magnum P.I., that the Indy films would've been as popular as they are now? I mean do you think that there would be an Indyfan forum? I'm pretty sure there would be and that it was the writer and director that made it really good but I want to hear what you think.

: Check six.

: LFM

Personally, I was very discouraged going to a movie with "Han Solo" in it...where he wasn't playing Han Solo! I saw Raiders during a rented theatre showing for a birthday party. I remember being told, "He's not Han Solo in this movie"--I couldn't understand. In my mind Harrison Ford WAS Han Solo. Of course, the movie stuck out in my youthful mind, and I immediately accepted Harrison, or Han Solo for that matter, as Indiana Jones. Once I got over that initial hurdle, the movie was one of the best experiences of my life. When Temple rolled around, I couldn't stop thinking about Indiana Jones--Harrison was him.

What is my point? Harrison Ford was recognized as Han Solo, Tom Selleck as Magnum (however a little less known by youth). I think the character would have been just as intriguing if played by a no-name actor. Spielberg and Lucas were busting their butts trying to find the guy to play Indy, and they were running out of time. Ford slipped easily into the role, and I think Selleck would have too. they both portray dashing high-adventure rogues quite well.

Maybe it was the public's familiarity with Ford that sent them to the film. I was opposed to him doing any other roles, but loved it when I went. So, I think the film stands alone with the power of the character--and would have regardless of the actor. Ford is awesome as Indy, but I'll bet Selleck would have been too. Instead of Ford's lop-sided grin, we would have had Selleck's raised eyebrows!

--nitzsche

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]