Re: Help! Whip dilema!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bullwhip from A010-0813.FLNT.splitrock.net on August 14, 2001 at 15:51:08:

In Reply to: Help! Whip dilema! posted by Patterson on August 14, 2001 at 01:25:07:

: Ok, now I'm hearing all this about the current DM's being off the mark with respect to accuracy, i.e. the handles have been materially shortened. With $600+ on the line - who wants to give me some feedback on the current DM offerings?

: I'd appreciate the feedback. A little voice is telling me to stick with the Mark Allens - shit, I can buy a 10 foot 12 plait and an 8 foot 16 plait for the price of a DM 12 footer. They have double plaited roo skin bellies, too!

: Help!

: Patterson

I have been hearing the same thing. Normally the handles are right around 7 ½ inches long from the top of the ornamental turkshead knot to the bottom of the “ball”. The last bullwhip I got from him last year looked a little off. The handle was a bit bulked up making it look short and stocky. I am not sure if I just got a thicker hide or what. Some one mentioned he was putting a bolster in the handle now and it was making them thicker. Not sure. As for the length of the handle itself it has been my understanding that they have always been around 8 inches, Thought there are some scenes specifically in the Temple of Doom that the handle does look a little longer and thinner. (Interesting note: different style cracker attached too). I never gave it too much thought until now, as I was not sure if it was a real difference or just an illusion. I would like to hear a little more on this handle discrepancy myself. Anyone have any of his whips from the Mid-80s or more recently? I know there have been changes in the bullwhip over the years; most have been internal and intended to improve the whips. The older ones still look dead on; if he did make some recent changes, ask him to make it the way he used to. Can’t hurt to ask.

Bullwhip

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]