Hey Michaelson

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from 63.201.187.189 on August 15, 2001 at 13:05:54:

In Reply to: Mr. Ryan... posted by Michaelson on August 15, 2001 at 12:12:55:

I saw a copy of the issue a few days ago on a rack. Do you want me to get it for you? Cheers

xxxxxxxx

: ...first of all, thank you very much for even posting here! Speaking for myself, I appreciate folks like you who take the time to talk to us crazies who haunt these forums and websites to discuss our hobby. Professionals that take the time to discuss their work, such as Peter Botwright of Wested Leather, Noel Howard of MBA costumes, and now yourself. You're right, we occasionally have random acts of "violence" that occur, but they are usually caused by people who get their "jollie" crashing through a forum, stirring up the troops, then they move on. It happens at almost every forum on the internet. We've just taken a few more shots than usual this past year, and I'm afraid you stumbled into one of those few times. Speaking for Austin Powers....he's one of our plainer speaking members. I think very highly of Austin, and though there are many times I may not agree with him, that's the whole point of a "lively" forum. If we all nodded in agreement to absolutely everything that was written, then this place would be just another lodge meeting, and we'd be bored to death. If you had the time to monitor the forum, you could see the pattern that the members write, and totally know how to take the writers. Every one of us has a different style, and it's hard not to try and read between the lines at times and occasionally read something that really isn't there. I've been as guilty of that as the next writer. I do vaguely remember the posting you're referring to, and I would very much like to read your 'take' to the discussion, being the man of the hour. Unfortunately, I have NOT been able to obtain a copy of that issue, and we've tried repeatedly to find it in Tennessee, but to no avail. I can only pick up bits and pieces of the discussion through the discussion here. I would personally enjoy reading an exchange between you and the members, and invite you to become a "regular" here (or as much as you can) and get to know us. We're all here to learn. Ignore the trouble makers. We try to. High regards. Michaelson

:
: : Hi, everyone. My name is Michael Ryan; I was the author of the 20th annivesary Raiders article in Star Wars Insider a few months back. I posted this question once before, but I did it wrong--posted it to the end of the chain instead of at the beginning. So much for a college education. :)

: : Someone recently sent me a link to an old discussion from June, a thread begun by Austin Powers, regarding the article that I wrote. I would like to respond to that email--which really bothered me, as some of it felt like personal attacks--but I do NOT believe in stirring calm waters. In some cases, it's best to let people vent and leave matters as they stand.

: : I also get the impression that, at least at one time, this was a somewhat aggressive, even hostile, forum, and if things are calm, I don't want to be responsible for making other folks' recreational time on the Web unpleasant. And frankly, things seem pretty calm now. I'm sort of thinking I should take the high road and just let it go, but I don't know how receptive this forum in general and Austin in particular is to disagreement.

: : Seeking guidance before posting.

: : Michael

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: