Agree wholeheartedly, 'cept....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Banzai from host-208.jud.ca.gov on August 15, 2001 at 13:54:24:

In Reply to: Re: Why do we like Indy? posted by Indiana Dog on August 15, 2001 at 11:40:34:

...that I was 14 when I saw ROTLA for the first time in '81. That summer I was making the change from jr. high/middle school to high school, and I think ROTLA/Indy represented 'change' in that I only saw HF as Han Solo (my childhood hero from Star Wars), and now here he was as a completely different, more 'believable' (read: not a space hero) character.

I was able to teach myself how to crack a whip like Indy, because I couldn't find a blaster or lightsaber to train with :)

I think the more down-to-earth roots of Indy (as opposed to Solo) is why I still regard him as a hero and a source for inspiration whilst problem solving (What Would Indy Do?).

Also, my brother was a big film buff back then (still is, actually), so through him, I was introduced to a lot of classic adventure films like 'Adventures of Robin Hood' and 'The Mark of Zorro'. I really liked old high adventure-type films (and modern ones like 'Star Wars'), and 'Raiders' fit that genre perfectly.

Hope this made sense.

Take care.

: I saw ROTLA in '81 when I was 9 years old and growing up then all my friends were running around with light sabres and laser guns. I loved SW and Han Solo is pretty durn cool but even at nine I wanted something a little more real than space toys. They had to make the whooshing sound with the sabres and you couldn't see a laser flying from your gun but Indy had a whip that you could swing from trees with and destroy your mom's flowers with. I just like the realism of it. (So to speak) Get to go after treasure, fight, and even as a kid I dug the clothes. Yeah, I guess the fact that he was more human made it seem more accessible as kid playing Indy in the front yard. As an adult, I'm with you. His determination and self reliance makes him hold up and I gotta admit, I still dig the clothes.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]