Samples of Goat and Horse just in from Wested!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by India Jones from 141.11.234.1 on August 16, 2001 at 08:23:12:

I haven't had time to do pics yet, but I'll get around to it soon. Here's a preliminary "blind" review:

Both skins are very nice and seem to be of high quality. The horse is very dark brown, it seems to have dark reddish/ruby highlights (not mauve like the lamb), and the dye seems to permeate the leather throughout. The finish is quite soft and smooth and does not have much grain to it other than what seem like small folds or creases. It has a bit of a dull "waxy" finish and seemingly has a high oil content. It reminds me of leather when its slightly wet. When you fold it or stretch it, it gets a bit lighter then goes back to its normal color. It definitely does not seem to have the shiny, vinil like finish that I've heard is normally associated with horse (maybe due to the high oil content) and may have an analine finish. Its quite heavy (without being thick) and in my opinion would make a great winter jacket. Seems very rugged and should age well.

The goat is also very dark brown and has almost olive highlights to it. The dye also seems to permeate the leather throughout. It has a very grainy appearance and the surface is a bit more shiny than the horse (not as shiny as the lamb however). It does not have the waxy/oily feel to it that the horse does and is quite a bit lighter. It seems about as thick as the horse and judging from its weight, should be better suited for year round wear (it is thicker than the lamb). It looks very rugged indeed and after having pulled on it and tried to tear it, it seems to stand up to abuse. I'm not sure about the aging since the finish seems to be quite durable.

Again, these were only samples of end pieces so they are not fully representative of what the jackets will be made from. In my opinion, either one would make a great jacket depending on your tastes.

Before posting, I will try to use MK's acetone method on both of them to see what happens.

Regards,
IJ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: