Back from New York!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ulla from 179-107-229-216.oak01.pon.net on August 16, 2001 at 14:54:38:

Well, I just got back after THREE weeks of being away. I had a good time, but I do admit that it got tedious after a while, all the walking, the bumpity subways, the "city that never sleeps, and never lets YOU sleep!" ---as said by my older sister.;-)
I couldn't find any Indy memorabilia shops, BUT! several Indy-esque things came my way. For one: I bought some lovely, navy blue, open-toed vintage 1940s heels for $12, second: the lovely people we stayed with each gave me a real dress from India, as well as a beautiful white 30's-40's dress with blue flowers on it. It doesn't really fit, (I look like Star Jones trying to wear a dress of Marilyn Monroe's ...sorry, that was mean<:-( but my mom can fix it (or I can loose some weight...ha! It would take the miracle of the Ark...). THIRD: (and among my FAVORITE experiences on the trip) Raiders of the Lost Ark, in all of it's ORIGINAL widescreen glory, was played! I went upstate to New Paltz, (it is a country town, DRASTICALLY different from the city!) and as we went into a store to buy some sweet, fresh corn, juicy cherries worth all of the $4 per pound price, I saw this flyer saying "Movie Night in Gardiner! (a town 5 miles away) Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones! Starts at 8:30 pm! Under the stars! Bring your own blankets, chairs and bug repellant!" Well, I would have liked to have the two people we were staying with (two sisters, named Joanie and Jaimee [she's my namesake]) come with my mother and sister and me, but it ended up that my nuclear family went. It was AMAZING. We drove to Gardiner, with three, clunky Adirondack chairs. I wore a very nice, flowing long dress, and I would have worn my fedora, had I brought it, the some billions of miles from California to New York.;-) I was a little surprised to see a simple white screen hung over a wall, but it ended up being a night I would never forget. I had never seen it on the Big Screen, and, as it was a real film being played and not a movie, there were parts on the sides while it played that I had not noticed before. The sound was great, and the bugs that flew by were entertaining as they were projected onto the screen.;-) What was even amazing, is that lightning would flash across the darkened horizon. New York has some very weird weather. It was humid and hot, and the movie would be cancelled if it started to rain, but, perhaps because Mother Nature is compassionate to fanatics,;-p she didn't let it rain until the following day. Even the bugs were courteous as I sat outside, for I didn't even realize I had gotten bit until a few days later!
And lastly FOUR: I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. They have this incredible exhibit of Egyptian art on the first floor, and my sister (whom, I might add, would often pick on me throughout the vacation>:-( even said I looked studious and collegiate as sketched various elements of Egyptian design whilst wearing a cream colored, sleeveless turtleneck. :-D
Well! These items stand out as the most beloved on my weary trip. I won't even get INTO the plane ride back home...*ugh*
Take care! And enjoy the rest of this fleeting summer, you all, before it gets gobbled up by teachers with cascades of homework.
Adventurously,
Ulla
(*laughs* I did leave out one thing: on our way to the airport, before we could even drive two blocks, I threw up in the gutter. How romantic, and what a delightful way to start the holiday!!:-\

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]