Re: "I don't care about Ryan. Ryan's just a name."

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael G. Ryan from 1Cust39.tnt4.auburn.wa.da.uu.net on August 16, 2001 at 17:33:47:

In Reply to: "I don't care about Ryan. Ryan's just a name." posted by Austin Powers on August 16, 2001 at 16:08:20:

Well, as your subject line indicates, common courtesy is certainly not one of your stronger characteristics.

So, I stand corrected, Powers. I now know where you're coming from. Given the number of people who apparently "misread" your comments, I'd say where you're coming from remains vague to much of your audience. However, I get it now. Thank you for clarifying what I already suspected.

I also apppreciate you "indulging" me with a dissection of your comments (which failed to "indulge" commentary regarding your photoshop ref), so I will reiterate: the text for the clothing section was not lifted from Indygear or any other individual web source. Common sense dictates that there's a limited amount of data regarding a pair of shoes or the length of a whip; to say that any one source owns that material, given the narrowness of the information, is not only unrealistic, it's also misguided.

I see, too, that you'd like to debate semantics regarding how your countercomments are interpreted, particularly your comments regarding "English classes" or your take on the limited number of Indy fans and that proverbial "slap in the face" you keep citing as if Lucas took it upon himself to personally slight you. Bash that head away, Powers; I feel that you're doubletalking here, so I have no means to respond to revisionist history. Besides, it isn't an issue for me, as I'm not a regular member of the forum; I'm only here to explain to anyone who wants to know how and why the article came about. I'll leave it to you and your forum mates to determine if you're right, if I'm right, or if it matters at all.

(As an aside, I certainly hope that the folks who've expressed an interest in an autograph or other information from me don't perceive it to be "brown nosing." I think this is simply an inappropriate tag Powers has attached to the forum members who might disagree with his words or his tactics.)

Finally, to quote your response:

: Again, I'm done with this matter. If you still have problems with my comments, then I doubt you're the kind of person who is best suited for working in the public eye. And in that case, I pray to God you never write a play, novel, or movie script.

I don't think still having a problem with your comments is indicative of an inability to work "in the public eye." In fact, I think having a problem with your comments has more to do with believing the public work I do is significant and merits defending, where appropriate, when publicly criticized. I would counter that if *you* have a problem with me responding to said criticism, perhaps you should be wary about offering your criticism in a public forum.

But thank you for your prayers. I'll alert my agent.

I'd be more than happy to meet with you in person or outside this forum if you'd like to discuss the article with me further. Perhaps you'll be kind enough then to provide me with your real name so I don't feel like I'm arguing with an international man of mystery.

Michael G. Ryan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]