Re: NO HAIRSPRAY????

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on November 25, 1998 at 16:01:52:

In Reply to: NO HAIRSPRAY posted by Groo on November 24, 1998 at 20:30:18:

: If you are having difficulty keeping your brim exactly the way you want it, you should use STEAM. Get the brim DAMP, not WET with steam and shape the hat to your liking. To keep the tilt of the brim, always place your fedora on the crown when you are not wearing it. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use hairspray on your Stetson temple. The fur felt WILL NOT respond well; it could fade the die and possibly ruin the cohesiveness of the bond between the fur fibers. I am speaking from experience here. The old hairspray remedy may work on WOOL hats but not the material in the fedora that you purchased.
: Don't ruin your investment Regards,
: Groo

Sorry, Groo, I don't agree with you here. The trick is to use a piece of paper to screen off or block the ribbon and crown from the spray. Use a very light over spray on the brim AFTER using the wetting and natural drying application as described. The trick here is a light overspray, not a direct soaking like you see them do to Stetson cowboy hats. Not unless you want it to turn into a hardhat. Just a light and quick overspray from a distance of about 8 to 10 inches while blocking the ribbon and crown with your paper or cardboard, then allow that to naturally dry at room temperature. I've used this technique for years on virtually every fur felt fedora I've ever owned, and have had absolutely NO problem with the fur felt, and that includes three Stetsons that were the predecessor model of your Temple. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]