Re: Whips in general

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J R Miller from d01a81a0.dip.cdsnet.net on November 25, 1998 at 20:50:22:

In Reply to: Whips in general posted by Dan Borton on June 30, 1998 at 23:34:13:

:
: : : :
: : : : : Brother, if you can successfully fly fish, it doesn't matter WHAT you use as a whip! You're going to hit what YOU swing at! I tried fly fishing once in my life. I don't think my uncle EVER got all that line out of his apple trees by his pond. I can throw a whip well, but I still won't attempt fly fishing again. I understand rod and reel to well now. Regards. Michaelson

: : : : Well, it's really not that tough. Especially if you've figured out how to throw a whip since you tried it last. I bet that with a little effort and a big grassy field, we'd have you casting nice, tight loops in one afternoon. You wouldn't be great, mind you. But you could go fishing - which is what it's all about really.

: : : :
: : : : -IJFan

: : : You're absolutely right. It's just like learning not to flinch when the tip of the whip first is coming back at you. I just can't seem to keep the thought of that hook from the back of my head. But you're right, we CAN be taught until we die, right? Thanks. Regards. Michaelson

: : I don't know about fly fishing, but I was amused when, this summer
: : while in North Carolina, my grandpa commented on what a nice, perfect
: : casting technique I have. (when we went fishing) I couldn't help but
: : smile and say that it was because of my bullwhip skills. I know this
: : sounds crazy, but bowling also helps one's whip skills, and it can also
: : be said that one's whip skills also helps with bowling. Both sports
: : teach hand and arm control, and fine-tunes precision moves. (I happen
: : to be the only person in the world who throws a straight ball nowadays)
: : I can fairly consistently put the ball right down the center of the
: : lane. The bullwhip is the reverse, that being throwing a straight arm
: : over the head and forward. But both hobbies play well of one-another
: : and mesh together nicely.

: : -Dale

: : P.S.-He's right- having the best tools DOES make all the difference!

:
: I can see how both fly casting and even bowling can improve your whip throws, The basic fundamentals of the throws are similar.

: Having the best tools no doubt makes the job easier in turn more enjoyable. In a prior note I made the comment about getting a less expensive whip if you feel uncomfortable paying for a high priced bull whip. For myself whip cracking is something that I really enjoy, I work with my whips on almost a daily basis weather permitting. If someone shows an interest in the sport, I don’t want to see them, not be able to participate just because they can’t always afford the top of the line item. Their are many good quality professional whips available for under a $100 dollars, that are just fine for a novice just getting interested in whip cracking. I too use a couple of the different whips David Morgan offers, including his Indy series. I will be the first to admit that they are top of the line, and some of the best whips I have used. I recommend them to anyone interested in the sport, and if you can get one Great they are worth it. However if your not sure you want to invest $300 to $500 in something that you have a general interest in, go ahead and try out one of the other whips available first. If you find that you enjoy it, then you can think about investing in the Higher quality whips. Keep in mind though, there are some cheepies out there that are just a waste of money. If you want to get a decent whip go with one of the recommended suppliers.

: OK enough of my philosophy, all this talk of fishing is making me eager to get and do some fishing of my own.

: Dan

Gentlemen:

I just want to give you a couple of alternate sources for good quality bull whips, both are in Australia

1) David Bould, BOULD WHIPS, url WWW.healey.com.au/HOMESPAGES/derek

Just received a 9 foot, 16 plait RED/BLACK whip from David. He charged me $215.00 US for the whip. Beautifully done. Flexible and cracks very well.

2) Si Davey, SILVERBIRCH PRODUCTION, url WWW.whips.au.com

J R Miller

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: