Maybe, maybe not...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by India Jones from 141.11.234.1 on August 17, 2001 at 12:53:24:

In Reply to: Good points - a question of semantics? posted by Patterson on August 17, 2001 at 12:19:56:

Its more a matter of point of view I think, and we all know that each point of view is as good as the other (I of course respect yours). It also could be more a question of how you define designing and the level of contribution of each element in the final product. I guess I see it a different way. Lets take your craftsman example: I see this particular incident (the raiders jacket) more like going to a craftsman and asking him what basic models he has to offer. Then after he shows you the basic models, you say "well, I'd like this and this and this added". This and this and this being details (important ones nevertheless). In this scenario, did you design the product or did you just make changes or improvements to the craftsmen's existing design? Its all a matter of how you look at it and the level of importance you give to each piece in the overall picture. Just my point of view that's all...

Regards,
IJ

: I guess from my of view, if I go to a craftsman and say "I like the basic elements of this, but I'd like this added from this source, this from this source, and these specifications which are my own personal elements". Well, to me this sounds like I just designed a jacket, but I've commissioned somebody else to execute the design into a real article - maybe because I don't have the means of skills to actually build the thing. In my mind it is my design, i.e. the person doing the work for me did not come up with it. Sure they may own an element, and it may be a major element. They deserve credit for their part, and I'd not dream of taking that away. Maybe I'm missing something?

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: