Another problem with mink oil.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on August 17, 2001 at 13:29:07:

In Reply to: Hey! Remember me? I iscovered something about my Wested that might interest some of you. (adventures in mink oil!!!) posted by Satch on August 16, 2001 at 23:30:22:

Ten years ago I was using Mink Oil on my jackets too. I never had problems with fungus or little creatures living in the jacket, but I live in a very moderate climate. Patterson and Michaelson obviously know what they're talking about. What I heard about mink oil was that it simply didn't work. Ten years ago I went to air shows all the time. There was a WW2 re-enactor that showed up to these shows often with a static display. He told me that the old A-2 jackets at the Smithsonian had been falling apart. The people at the museum had been using mink oil and didn't understand why the jackets were still falling apart. They seeked an expert's advice and started using pure lanolin. This worked extremely well. Of course, lanolin is a component in mink oil. Maybe there's not enough of it in there. Still, lanolin being a natural substance, it might have the same effect as mink oil as far as creatures and micro-organisms go. It does make sense that a natural oil would be the best way to replenish the oils in leather. What I use these days on lambskin is a Pecard's product called "Leather Lotion". Your llambskin should react similar to the way it does with mink oil and you won't have to worry about the weather. Cheers

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

: Maybe you recall my little tyrade (sp?) after christmas when i got a new finish wested lambskin jacket that had none of the modifications i had requested and started to wear the first week i wore it (a hole in one sleeve and wearing along all of the seems, especially the front and tears inside under the armpits). Anyways, after all that complaining i still never sent it back (you know you've been there at least once!!). i just wore it very carefully and wished it wouldn't wear out. well, the leather was so soft that i didn't want to condition it, but i finally gave in and used (GASP!!!!) mink oil. i decided that the chances that it would rot my jacket and and send its silky leather soul straight to hell were pretty slim (the oil is about as organic as the jacket itself.... so i figured). Well, i started under the collar and.... low and behold.... the mink oil (made by Griffin for shoes in a little tub of paste) worked absolutely perfectly!!! i was really blown away. i tried some other products (including Lexol) on small spots, but they always left a waxy residue (called "tacky" by some). this mink oil soaked right in and actually left the jacket SOFTER and made it stop SQUEEKING so much. The oil brought out some of the texture in the leather and made it seem more like a piece of fine leather, not that fake plastic leather they make hot pants out of. The oil darkened the scuffed spots also, but left the character of the premature aging..... so it turns out my jacket was falling apart (on the outside, anyways) because it was starving for oil, not because it's a cheap piece of jacket shaped crap!! i wish you all could see and feel my jacket now because i'm sure you think i'm full of it.... i really was VERY impressed (and i promise i'm not retarded.... i'm a HUGE leather fan and enjoy oiling leather, so i've tried many different products... you should see my shelf!!) So, if you're looking for a leather care product for your lamb skin wested, check out Griffin Mink Oil Leather Preserver (not soul rotter). it's only two bucks at a grocery store (ingles for me). as a warning, i have been told that mink oil can greatly damage some leather, but i beleive this to be true of cheaper hides (That's a guess). as all our jackets vary, if you try this, please start in an unseen area (in a pocket or under the collar). also, i can't vouch for how the mink oil will react with other treatments, so be carefull and use sparingly!!! i love you guys and i hope at least one person tries this so they can verify my story. ps, i'm off to Berry College!!!!! i'm nervous but it will be a great adventure (i plan on selling the movie rights:)!!! ok, bye for now,
: Satch
: pps... i hope this was long enough and had enough parenthesis for you!!!

: Maybe you recall my little tyrade (sp?) after christmas when i got a new finish wested lambskin jacket that had none of the modifications i had requested and started to wear the first week i wore it (a hole in one sleeve and wearing along all of the seems, especially the front and tears inside under the armpits). Anyways, after all that complaining i still never sent it back (you know you've been there at least once!!). i just wore it very carefully and wished it wouldn't wear out. well, the leather was so soft that i didn't want to condition it, but i finally gave in and used (GASP!!!!) mink oil. i decided that the chances that it would rot my jacket and and send its silky leather soul straight to hell were pretty slim (the oil is about as organic as the jacket itself.... so i figured). Well, i started under the collar and.... low and behold.... the mink oil (made by Griffin for shoes in a little tub of paste) worked absolutely perfectly!!! i was really blown away. i tried some other products (including Lexol) on small spots, but they always left a waxy residue (called "tacky" by some). this mink oil soaked right in and actually left the jacket SOFTER and made it stop SQUEEKING so much. The oil brought out some of the texture in the leather and made it seem more like a piece of fine leather, not that fake plastic leather they make hot pants out of. The oil darkened the scuffed spots also, but left the character of the premature aging..... so it turns out my jacket was falling apart (on the outside, anyways) because it was starving for oil, not because it's a cheap piece of jacket shaped crap!! i wish you all could see and feel my jacket now because i'm sure you think i'm full of it.... i really was VERY impressed (and i promise i'm not retarded.... i'm a HUGE leather fan and enjoy oiling leather, so i've tried many different products... you should see my shelf!!) So, if you're looking for a leather care product for your lamb skin wested, check out Griffin Mink Oil Leather Preserver (not soul rotter). it's only two bucks at a grocery store (ingles for me). as a warning, i have been told that mink oil can greatly damage some leather, but i beleive this to be true of cheaper hides (That's a guess). as all our jackets vary, if you try this, please start in an unseen area (in a pocket or under the collar). also, i can't vouch for how the mink oil will react with other treatments, so be carefull and use sparingly!!! i love you guys and i hope at least one person tries this so they can verify my story. ps, i'm off to Berry College!!!!! i'm nervous but it will be a great adventure (i plan on selling the movie rights:)!!! ok, bye for now,
: Satch
: pps... i hope this was long enough and had enough parenthesis for you!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]