It's a hard thing to do...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-168.col.cableone.net on August 18, 2001 at 17:06:29:

In Reply to: My Last Post, or an "indulgence", if you will. posted by Austin Powers on August 17, 2001 at 13:52:09:

:
: Well hey, it's been real, but I'm about done with this place. I mean no disrespect towards Micah, as this is a great site. It just seems that I'm not as well-received here as I thought. It's apparent that no matter how interesting and informative my posts may be, the fact that I don't sugar-coat everything or worry about offending someone is too much for people to swallow. Sure, I've said some things in the past that've pissed off, intentionally some of the time, but if everyone sat here and agreed then my God, what a lame place this'd be. If everyone was as naive as some, we'd all be sitting here wearing our Disney fedoras, marveling at their accuracy. I'm literally sickened by the lack of support given to me recently. It's one thing to be a career arch-enemy of mine, like a couple of forum members are, but it's another thing altogether to go with the crowd, taking on that mob mentality, and proceed to take shots at me. If you have a problem with me, fine, I could care less. But don't invent a problem and slam me just for the sake of doing the "in" thing.

: Mr. Ryan, don't worry, you didn't cause this. This has been building for a while now, and I've finally had it with this whole deal. I've seen this forum decline steadily since I began visiting it back in '99. I've seen the introduction of jackass after jackass, whose main goal was SOLELY to annoy, and for you, and fellow forum members, to group me with them is pretty outrageous. People around here tend to have short-term memories, and seem to agree with someone without thinking for themselves.

: Anyway, you apparently have problems with some of my comments which I did not spell out for you word-for-word last time.

: The Photoshopped ribbon, right? Well, I stand by that comment. The ribbon in your picture looks FAKE. If someone else can look at that photograph and tell me otherwise then they're lying. I've owned the hat that you speak of, in fact, I used the ribbon from it to put on my Indiana Miller fedora, which I've photographed numerous times. Not once, on film or in person, has the ribbon EVER looked fake the way yours does.

: It also seems you still have issues with my "English Comprehension", or my "doubletalking". You're still hanging onto the notion that I in some way made a comment regarding the small number of Indy fans in general, which I still have no idea where you got. I never once said ANYTHING about Indy fans' numbers, or the lack thereof, with respect to what Lucasfilm puts out there. By the same token, I never said I considered Lucas' practices to be personally aimed at me. The "slap in the face of the collective Indy fan" statement has to do with the horribly unbalanced ratio of 'Star Wars' merchandise, etc., to 'Indiana Jones' stuff. I've noticed this since '89. See, I was 10 years old that summer, and to walk into a toy store and see NO Indy action figures was like a kick in the gut. I was forced to track down an expensive carded 'Raiders' figure and open it, just to have an Indy toy. Now fast-forward a few years to the mid-nineties, you can't go ANYWHERE without seeing 'Star Wars' toys, nearly 20 years after the fact. In 1997, to mark the 20th anniversary, all three 'Star Wars' films were rereleased into the theaters. Now move ahead to 2001. To mark the 20th anniversary of 'Raiders' what do we get? The movie on the big screen, a DVD release, a commemorative poster? No. We get a 20-page article full of rehashed information in the BACK of a MONTHLY 'Star Wars' magazine. There, there's your "slap in the face". Still have issues with it? You still feel the need for further explanation?

: About Ford's height, I'm actually one of the few who's been adamant in the fact that he IS 6' or over. In a prior post of yours you felt the need to justify this fact, which I'm not sure was aimed at me, or someone else. My beef was in the fact that you say his hat's a size 7(58), which in itself is wrong, because 58 is the European equivalent to 7 1/4, not 7. I was simply bringing this error into light by saying if his hat size WAS 7, then his head would look too small considering he IS at least 6' tall.

: As to the plagiarism subject, I stand firm. I understand that there are limited resources for this information, and that no one owns the length of a whip, etc. But you yourself admitted you used web sources like IndyGear, yet we see no citations.

: Below you will find your EXACT words from the article, and the EXACT words shown on IndyGear. Sure, stuff like whip length or hat color can't be traced back to one definite source, but this example, I think, can.

: Michael G. Ryan writes(about the whip),
:
: "The natural tan gets darker when exposed to sunlight and weathering."
:

: IndyGear's Whip FAQ reads,
:
: "When you get [the whip], it will be a very light pinkish brown color, called natural tan. To darken it, as it appears in the movies, you should expose it to natural sunlight..."
:

: As for your offer to meet offline, I'm not interested. I have no desire to answer your, what is almost literally a duel request. I also feel no need whatsoever to give you, or anyone for that matter, my real name. Again, if you are so bothered by criticism of your work, then I feel you're not suited for a career in the public eye. My comments were cake compared to what some critics say about the work of others.

: I've said all I can, or want to, about this subject. At the same time, I've said all I want to say here at the forum, period. Like I said, the blatant lack of backbones around here sickens me. There are SOME, who are genuinely good people, some who think for themselves and stand firm in their beliefs. But I can count them on one hand. And for the record, I NEVER called ANYONE a brown-nosing autograph hound. Go back and read it again, if you're so hung up on MY ability to comphrehend English. If some of you feel this label suits you, that's not my problem.

: I'm gone,
: Austin Powers
:

...as I tried it once, or twice,perhaps more. Then, I find myself needing a fix of Indy info from time to time, and wander back over here. Plus, I am afraid I might miss the latest rumor of Indy 4, or even a new hat offering. And then there's the idea that a few folks might actually enjoy seeing me exit this place for good, and I can't allow them this. Austin, "we are verry much alike", as we don't follow the herd. Don't leave old Fedora here in the midst of all of the "yes men". You and I are the salt here, and most folks like a bit of salt on what they consume. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]