Re: A Few Points...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by India Jones from 141.11.234.1 on August 20, 2001 at 08:42:56:

In Reply to: A Few Points... posted by MK on August 17, 2001 at 14:20:00:

Thanks MK for the explanations and bon voyage to London.
One item that remains unclear and seems to be a contradiction is what happened when Mrs. Landis went to Berman's. According to her, there were already several prototypes made by Wilson's then by Western costume. Did these prototypes already have the final design of the Indy jacket? It says that they were only discarded for reasons related to distressing the leather. From this angle, it seems that there was already an existing design that was just given to Berman's and Peter to copy.
Or was there no such design and the jacket was designed "on the fly" when Mrs. Landis was at Berman's as suggested by Peter Botwright with inputs from them. It just seems like two very contradicting stories. But now that detective MK is on the trail, I'm sure he'll solve the case. Maybe you should consider trading in your fedora for one of those tweed hats we associate with Sherlock Holmes ;)

Best of luck in London,
IJ
P.S. Antother interesting mystery to be solved is the French company that made the TOD jacket. Let me know if you have any leads. I could follow up here in France.

: I believe a little clarification is in order:

: ....do you think that she would say anything other than what she said (i.e. that she designed the entire jacket by herself)? Could it have been more of a collaborative effort with ideas from several sources (i.e. Monty Berman or Peter Botwright)? 
:
:
Please keep in mind you are reading a couple paragraphs of condensed information from a two hour in-person interview with Mrs. Landis. She was more then willing to give credit where credit was due. She had never heard of Peter Botwright although she had met him. Deborah had no idea Berman's & Nathan's was sub-contracting the work.  I am sure she thought Peter was an employee of B&H and Peter didn't jeopardize his financial relationship by saying
: otherwise. This is a common business practice.

: Could it have been altered again several times by wardrobe? 
:
:
Mrs. Landis was in charge of the Wardrobe Department. Her team would never alter her design without her permission. That's a good way to get fired (not to mention blacklisted). Besides, Deborah took the one proto-type in her own luggage to France where she aged it by hand herself. 

: It has always been my opinion that the Indy gear story was incomplete without the accounting of the costume designer and wardrobe personal. As a motion picture professional, I know the contribution made after items are obtained from venders. We are just now filling in the blanks to this mystery of the garb adorned by our fedora clad hero. Rest assured I am hot on trail of this story. I
: leave Tuesday for London, where I will be interviewing the other suspects in this mystery. :-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]