Re: Help, please! Best way to clean the jacket??

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doctor from cache-2.sbo.ma.webcache.rcn.net on August 20, 2001 at 12:16:10:

In Reply to: Help, please! Best way to clean the jacket?? posted by BamIndy on August 20, 2001 at 08:44:46:

:Most of the leather jackets I have seen "professionally" cleaned come back from the cleaners looking very different from when they went in. I think the cleaning solvents used by professional cleaners to remove dirt and oil also remove some of the dyes from the leather. What part of your jacket is so dirty that it needs cleaning?? If it is the leather, try a good automotive leather cleaner and conditioner. Connolly Hide Food stinks to high heaven but it is reported to work wonders on older leather. I think it might be easier to find in the UK than Lexol. If the lining of the jacket is very dirty you can give it a good surface cleaning with a mild soap (Ivory) and a wet dry vacuum. Your basically work your soap into a rich lather with a brush or a sponge and brush it into the area that needs to be cleaned (i.e. pocket liners). Try to use mostly soap foam not soapy water. You can then vacuum out the residual soap with the wet dry vac or blot dry with multiple towels. You can then rinse the area 2 or 3 times with warm water in a spray bottle followed by vacuuming or blotting. Once clean, hang the jacket up to dry for a couple of days. I have used this technique on car seats, carpet and my leather jacket linings. It works remarkably well and really does not take too long to do. The trick is to keep the amount of water used to a minimum. Be careful with older linings as the vacuum can rip holes in the liner if it is old and fragile. Good luck with your project.

Best Regards

Doctor

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: