As have mine

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace113.utsi.edu on August 21, 2001 at 10:37:04:

In Reply to: Wested samples arrived! posted by Patterson on August 20, 2001 at 19:55:14:

I agree to all points below, but have to add that the lambtouch cowhide caught me by surprise. I had a completely different mental image as to what that was, and was pleasantly surprised I was totally wrong. It was easy to spot the lambskin, wasn't it! It was very thin and light next to all the other choices. The lambtouch was about as close in "feel" to the lambskin as I could determine, and yet is the tough cowhide, where the lambskin stretched in one direction. These samples answered a ton of questions I've fielded as well as had myself over the years. Regards. Michaelson

: Let me throw in my 2 cents, though I know we've seen some pics posted below. Pics are great, but they don't always give a real feel. Also, I think I've held a few leather samples so as to give a pretty objective opinion?

: Anyway, here goes:

: GOATSKIN! WOW! Only slightly darker than my seal brown veg goat FS, which I am wearing. The FS has, however been aging very nicely and may be a bit lighter than it was. The weight/thickness is perfect - not too thick. The creasing and drape are perfect - after doing my "Dave Marshall leather test". This Wested goatskin is absolutely beautiful! I see a Wested order in my near future...

: This horsehide is really very, very interesting. Not nearly as thick as other horsehides I've seen, and the color is almost black. When I rub it back and forth on itself vigorously, the grain comes out very nicely. Not nearly as rubbery as other horsehides I've seen, ad the lighter weight would make this a nice choice for a Raiders jacket. A little on the dark side for me, but a really fascinating leather with some qualities I really like. I see 2 Wested orders in my near future...

: The new finish cowhide never ceases to amaze me. It has such nice weight and grain to it. I can see why some of you have been so happy with this choice. I may be tempted someday myself to get one with this, but I think I may be sticking to the non-bovine leathers for a bit. This is, however, a real winner.

: Every time I see the lambskin, I have this need to get back to the authentic choice. I really regret ever selling my lamb Wested. These jackets are soooo light that you sometimes forget you have them on. Living in LA in the summer and being an Indy fan leaves you setting the AC on high indoors so you can at least wear the thing in the office. That lambskin Wested with a cotton lining would definitely be making the trip to Disneyland more often than my other fare between the months of June and August. I may have to add a 3rd jacket to that order...

: All in all, I have to praise Peter for these choices. This horsehide will absolutely haunt me until I get a complete jacket in my hands! Kudos all around, Mr. Botwright!

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: