Of course you're worthy!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from eeespace113.utsi.edu on August 22, 2001 at 11:28:01:

In Reply to: Im not worthy! I'm not worthy!! posted by California Smith on August 21, 2001 at 22:49:49:

Speaking for myself, though I'd like to have a DM, I personally could use the same amount of money, purchase a good used Smith model 29 .44 magnum, and STILL have money left over for several boxes of ammo. I'd be willing to bet after 10 years I'd get more money out of a resell for the revolver than I'd get for the whip. Just a personal decision, but it sure doesn't make me any less an "Indyfan". Regards. Michaelson

: Thanks Michaelson! I do feel a little better now. I was feeling much shame.

: But I really do want to prove myself worthy as a fan. I know I haven't bought enough Indy stuff to even presume to call myself a fan yet. All I've acquired over the years is a Cooper Indy (purchased in 1989, Wested, Noel Howard pants,shirt,bag, gun holster, whip carrier, Alden's,a 14 foot swivel-handled latigo whip that I bought years ago, Three Mark Allen whips (one of which I am selling), two Disney Fedoras, a Stetson 505, an Indiana Miller, a Peters Brothers Fedora, and a Clover leaf Zippo lighter. ALso lots of books, magazines, scripts, posters, laserdiscs and video tapes

: So I guess I must buy a DM. No problem. I will just force my 10 barefoot children back into the clothing shops of Kathy Lee to further support my collecting hobby. Perhaps even sell a couple for medical experiments. Anything for the sake of collecting.

: I just want to fit in.

: California Smith

:
: That's like saying unless you own a Herbert Johnson, you're not a true Indyfan, and you and I BOTH know that's not true. Let's not go that route. Regards. Michaelson

: :
: : : : I have three Mark Allen whips. From what I can tell, there is no differnce in construction or methods. The Mark Allen whip is beautifull and functions unbelievably well. No cheap leather involved. Once broken in it is soft, supple and cracks like a dream.

: : : : Now granted, I would like the DM just because he was the one that made the Indy whip. But for that reason only, NOT because of quality. I will admit I have never handled a DM, but I have done a lot of research on whips.

: : :
: : : : THerefore, in my humble opinion, you are paying for the name. You are getting an excellent whip, but you are paying $200 extra for the sake of knowing that David Morgan made it.

: : : : That being said, I know I will eventually get one.

: : : : I certainly agree that the DM name constructs the price at which he sells the whips and am not stating that the DM is any better than the MA in terms of quality, but MA did not make any whips for the films and Indy never carried a MA whip. If I am to be a true Indygear collector, than FOR ME, DM is IT!! There is NO substitute. Period.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]