Amen, brother (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from 63.201.103.106 on August 22, 2001 at 15:31:03:

In Reply to: Glad we're still friends (grin) posted by Rundquist on August 22, 2001 at 14:21:42:

: The most unfortunate thing I've found about collecting Indy gear is the fact that you can't examine the stuff up close. I feel lucky being on the west coast in that I've got two of the great resources
: in my backyard, Flight Suits and Lee Keppler. I always think of poor Sam Cox that has to do battle with customs every time he orders something (grin). I would probably never have gotten a Flight Suits Indy jacket had I not come upon one. I had two Westeds. This is nothing against Wested, they make a great jacket. I just hadn't anticipated buying another Indy Jacket at the time. In less than a year I've gotten 4 jackets, 4 hats, 2 gun belts, 3 bag straps, 2 bags, 2 shirts, 2 pants, 1 pair boots, 2 holsters, and 1 whip. I have my opinions on all this stuff, but my opinions are undoubtedly different than many out there. So fellas, depending on how deep your pockets are and how deep into this hobby we call collecting you are, you are into something that for all intensive purposes never ends. Sorry, that's just the way it is. I foolishly thought I was near the end a little while ago, but alas, I've come to the conclusion that this road stretches on for miles. The final point I will make will be that in the past there have been times where I thought I had the perfect piece of gear only to have my impressions dashed to pieces once I found another piece of gear. The "New Gear Phantom" is always looming in the shadows. Cheers

: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:
: : Actually, this is my PB, which is made to HJ's documented specs - 6-inch crown, 2 7/8 front/back, and 2 3/4 on the sides. The ribbon is too narrow in my opinion, but it is they way I ordered it from Joe. My next PB will have a wider ribbon. The hat looks the same on my head as it does in the pic. Once thing to point out is that this was taken when it was brand new and still stiff enough to kill somebody! (grin)

: : I must repeat something Michaelson has been saying a lot of lately: THE PB IS A CUSTOM HAT - 100%!!! If you think it's too tall, order is shorter. Lee's hats are beautiful, and in my book the big differential between his and the PB is the ability to custom the specs - and for those of us with large noggins, the added $55 can make all the difference in the look. Honestly? Well, the only way that crown is going to change shape that dramatically is if you are wearing one which is waaaay too small.

: : Again, Lee's hats are great, but comparing them to a PB is wrong thinking in my opinion. I believe they ought to be compared to the Miller, and the Stetsons. He's brought to market a hat that clearly buries the Stetsons, and completely fills the void left by the exit of the Nostalgia. His hat clearly goes toe-to-toe very well with the Miller, and in a split decision would take the victory - IMHO.

: : The PB, in my opinion, is clearly on a different level. It goes up against the hats in the $300+ price range, i.e. HJ ad GW. In my opinion, the PB eats their lunch every day of the week, leaving enough in my pocket to pick up a few shirts from MBA.

: : Again, I just think it is wrong-thinking to try and compare the two directly.

: : IMHO

: : Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: