Well, actually...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from adsl-63-201-103-106.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on August 22, 2001 at 15:54:47:

In Reply to: Michaelson, or anyone else who I rubbed the wrong way, please read... posted by agent5 on August 22, 2001 at 13:49:10:

You will learn in time that there are no cut and dry answers in this hobby. As things unravel, you will see that what you thought was a hard fact might not be so.

Case in point: What you buy from HJ is not "the Indy Hat". HJ was the original supplier, and they supply what they would call the nearest thing they can offer 20 years later. They will also tell you that it is NOT the same hat they supplied for Raiders (not even close) and it is only fairly close to what they supplied for ToD and LC. The primary problem is that their sources change over time. Color availability changes over 20 years. Blocking equipment changes over time, and the replacement may be "close enough" for some vendor up the supply chain. The original Raiders fedora was based upon what HJ called their "Australian Fedora" back in 1980. This hat was supplied by a Brazilian company, which discontinued the line sometime between RotLA and ToD. The hat for ToD is based upon a Borsalino hat made for HJ. The closest thing they have to this today is the Poet (some say the McAlpine is a better hat to fit the bill). But I've been told directly by HJ that the Poet is not THE hat, it is just the model they have today which some feel fits the bill.

What's my point? Well, unless you really get hung up on labels, where's your money better spent? Personally, I'm after the correct specs - measurements, etc - and getting the right look on top of my noggin. Joe Peters makes me a custom hat to my specs, and is a craftsman at sculpting the felt into something that looks like screen pics I send to him. And by the way - the guy IS and Indyfan! Somewhere along the way, we managed to bring him into the fold. He is anxiously awaiting the temperatures in Texas to drop so he can start wearing his US Wings VIP!

Beware - believing in a black and white world is folly. Be smart and be in charge of your life.

I'm off my soapbox...

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: