Thank you, Patteson! But...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Sam from 143.231.155.138 on August 22, 2001 at 16:38:58:

In Reply to: I don't think it actually says anything about the different choices on the site... posted by Patterson on August 22, 2001 at 16:33:40:

So the process doesn't affect color or durability? It sounds like it only affects the drape and feel of the leather. Is this accurate?

Indiana Sam

: : Where does it say on Flightsuits website that they offer either veg or chrome-tanned leathers? And can you explain what these classifications actually mean?

: : Thanks
: : Indiana Sam

: I would be happy to. The veg and chrome tanning processes are a bit different, and result in leathers tending to have different characteristics. Veg tanning has been around for thousands of years. It uses natural vegetable matter - generally tree bark - as the tanning agent. The process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. The resulting leather will tend to hold its shape better (particularly good for holsters, etc) and tends to be more water resistant. Chrome tanning relies upon chemicals to perform the tanning, and may take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. The resulting leather tends to be soft right away, but does not really hold any rigid shape, i.e. it is considered a true garment leather. Chrome tanning also tends to make a leather that is fairly heat resistant.

: While chrome tanned jackets will be soft and drape right away, the veg tanned jacket will over time (really not too long) become VERY soft and also drape very well. Personally, I really prefer the veg tanned stuff.

: Hope this helps - Cheers!

: Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: