A good point.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on August 24, 2001 at 13:15:35:

In Reply to: Its here! The Wested goat skin jacket... posted by India Jones on August 24, 2001 at 10:11:51:

The one reason I do keep coming back to lambskin is the fact that it's so light and cooler than other hides. It really comes down to what you want your jacket for. Goatskin is probably the best all round hide to make any jacket from in my experience. It is strong and yet light. Kangaroo is the only hide I've never had a jacket made from and I've heard it gives goatskin some stiff competition in those areas. I've talked about horsehide with some of the members on this forum, and even though some don't agree with me on it's toughness, I maintain that it is a very durable leather. The one thing about horsehide is that the tanning method makes a huge difference in how soft it is and probably how well it holds up over time. I had an A-2 (that I have since given to my father) from flightsuits that is made from a horsehide that is different than what they use now. It's a completely different jacket. Likewise the other horsehide stock that I've seen from jacket manufacturer to manufacturer is very different. Goatskin on the other hand, I've found to similar from manufacturer to manufacturer. It's a hide that is hard to screw up. Most the jackets I've seen made out of it posses the same qualities. To go back to my original point though, goatskin is still not as light as lambskin, nor is it as soft. Lambskin makes a great warmer weather jacket. This is probably not important to many fans (a jacket is supposed to keep you warm). But if you live in an area with a wide range of temperatures, you might consider two jackets. I wouldn't want a lambskin to be my only Indy jacket but I have to admit that I like it more than I ever thought I would. Cheers

xxxxxx

: Its finally here. Wow!!! What a jacket, what beautiful leather, what a nice color. Its much better than what I expected from what I saw in the leather samples. Hats off to Peter, Jerry, and Dorris at Wested. You've made a great jacket that should make many Indyfans happy. The goatskin is softer to the touch than what I expected yet it looks REALLY rugged. This is definitely a jacket that can take a beating. You can just feel it from touching the leather. Here's a rundown of differences as I percieve them vs. the Wested lambskin I own.

: -Thicker than lamb (could be a con if you want a summer jacket)
: -More grainy and rougher than the lamb
: -Less shiny than the lamb (although it does have a shine to it)
: -Has an olive tint to it (whereas the lamb has a mauve tint)
: -The color is closer to what is on screen (IMHO)
: -Does not drape and move like the lamb and I don't think it ever will even after wear (it is a tad bit stiffer and I don't see this going away completely)
: -Should hold its shape better over time due to this (this is good for the action pleats)
: -Does not crease immediately like the lamb (this may change over time)
: -Looks more "rugged" and less "elegant" than the lamb
: -"Squeeks" a bit less (we'll see over time)
: -Is about as "stretchy" as the lamb

: If I had to put it in one phrase, the goat makes for a rugged cooler weather jacket and the lamb makes for an elegant warmer weather jacket. Overall, I don't see myself wearing one more than the other (except for seasonal reasons) since they really are two different jackets and each is great in its own right. IMHO the lamb overall is still closer to what you see in the movies. The drape, creasing, and weight make it that way. The goat is a more practical jacket that looks great and can take a beating. I'll post comparative pics as soon as I get a chance to photograph it. If I can tear myself away from wearing it for a few minutes that is!

: Hey Peter,

: I hope you've got enough of that beutiful goatskin to make plenty of jackets for all those Indy fans who are going to want one (grins).

: Regards,
: IJ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: