Fedora hat ribbon search:

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Will Grimes from spider-wb022.proxy.aol.com (205.188.192.157) on Monday, September 10, 2001 at 11:43am :

Hey gang! I'm searching for the elusive 39mm or 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon for the famous Raider's hat design. I know that at one time I saw a posting that one could get this ribbon from Judith M with IndyDiggs designs (?). I don't know whether she is still out there or not. Does anyone know?

In case anyone is interested and hasn't heard yet...the absolute best "Indy" hat replica is made by Joe Peters, Jr, of Peter Brothers Hats in Fort Worth, TX. I know Joe personally and have visited his shop many times. His hat is absolutely the best and blows away the look and quality of the Herbert Johnson version. Believe me, I've seen them side by side! If you want the true "look", get Joe's hat. If you want to pay top dollar just for a "name", get the Herbert Johnson.

I've been facinated (or obsessed as my wife would say) with the "Indy" fedora for almost 20 years now. I've owned just about every copy-cat version that has ever been made available. To date, Peters Brothers is the most exact duplicate because Joe has literally studied the individual moments of each scene (i.e. the "idol scene" or "Cairo street scene") and he can create the specific look you're going for. The only weakness of his hat at this time is the ribbon. He uses a 36mm or 1 7/16" and it's just a little too light in color. I still recommend the hat most highly for the look and quality craftsmanship and because a ribbon can always be replaced!

Needless to say, Joe is looking for a supplier who can get 1 1/2" dark brown ribbon as well since his hats are becoming more and more in demand. If anyone out there has a lead on this ribbon, please let me know for my personal collection and I'll definitely get word to Joe, too. Or you can also contact him directly at www.petersbros.com.

Thanks and I appreciate any info available!
WG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com