I would agree that Lucas greatest talent is his imagination.

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (63.201.187.189) on Monday, September 10, 2001 at 9:03pm :

In Reply to: Re: What was THX1138 and American Graffiti? posted by Indiana Dog from ? (64.14.248.62) on Monday, September 10, 2001 at 5:58pm :

Irvin Kerchner (is that how you spell it?) did do a masterful job with directing Empire, but it was the best of the original three in my opinion because it had the meat of the personal relationship interaction. It was the writing that made it great (Lucas' writing, among others). If Jedi was the most hollow of the three, it was because it was the big finish to a play we never got to see ( the ewoks aside). After seeing episode 1, Jedi is starting to gain some emotional validity to me. As far as Episode 1 goes, it is not my favorite Staw Wars movie, but starting an epic saga is always the roughest part. The fact that Lucas originally started the series smack dab in the middle (A New Hope; the one he directed) and we loved it, is testament to his skill as a story teller. Apocolypse Now was his idea. He was suposed to direct it. Lucas knows methology. To be honest we're lucky that he has put so much effort into the tools of film making. The AVID (the digital editing system used to edit today's movies) was technolodgy that came from his company. I know I don't even have to mention digital effects (and even the older special fx's) that ILM developed. You could say that he's short changed himself (as a director) to bring us into the age of modern film making. I don't know where all the Lucas bashing has come from in the last number of years. Most film makers are lucky to invent any lasting icon of film. Lucas has done it time and again and he gets bashed. Nothing personal (I'd like more Indy too), but I have to defend his integrity. Cheers

xxxxxxxxxxxx

: Wasn't a big fan of THX1138 and American Graffiti didn't hold up as I got older. But let's face it, product yes - art, yes. That makes it open to interprtation and I have yet to belittle anyone's opinions about such things.
: Again, when valid points are made (such as yours) it's so much nicer to discuss or agree to disagree. I think Speilberg has grown as a director with age, I'm not sure Lucas has. Kind of like a QB who can do it all in college but can't quite cut the mustard in the bigs. As far as Phantom Menace - I like SW mainly because of Han Solo and I was 6 when I saw it. Unfortunately I couldn't allow my 6 year old self out to watch PM without missing the original. My fault, not Lucas'. I have to stick by opinion though, about thinking these prequals might fare better with someone else at the helm and Lucas sticking with what I think he does best.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com