Clarification

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Inby from ? (209.102.32.171) on Wednesday, September 12, 2001 at 3:38pm :

In Reply to: Re: So, you're suggesting ethnic cleansing? posted by Calixar from proxy4.modusmedia.com (208.14.214.23) on Wednesday, September 12, 2001 at 11:40am :

A Mohammaden is a somewhat archaic term referring to a Musim.
Moslem and Muslim are terms to refer to a believer in or adherent of Islam. Islam is the name of the faith, just as Christianity is the name of that faith. The term Muslim is preferred by members of the Nation of Islam, the organization of (largely) African-American followers of Islam (e.g., Black Muslim).
An Islamic person is one who follows Islam and recognizes Mohammed (ca.570-632 C.E.) as the Prophet. Islam also recognizes Jesus Christ and many religious leaders mentioned in the Old Testament as prophets (e.g., Moses, Abraham, etc.).
I would caution against painting a picture of Islam with a too-wide brush. The religion has adherents across the globe, and manifestations of the faith are as diverse as the cultures and peoples who follow. Islam is primarily found in the Middle East and SW Asia, SE Asia, and North and East Africa. But, as with the Nation of Islam, there are diverse interpretations, just as with Christianity.
It is a fascinating topic with a rich history not best expressed by simple characterizations of radical extremist violence, just as some would argue that Christianity is not best characterized by the horrors of the Inquisition and the ethnic cleansing promoted by early Spanish in the New World.

: Is there someone here who can clarify the full difference between a Muslim a Mohammaden and an Islamic person?
: My understanding is that the Islamic folks are primarily responsible for these sort of acts, and they are a minority group in the Middle East.
: Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am admittedly not fully up to speed on the subject.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com